Thread: 1989 jet planer

1989 jet planer

I found a 1989 jet 15 inch planer on craigslist for $700. It is in good working order and comes with an extra set of knives. Anyone know what the fair market value of this would be?

Woody Dixon

"Fair market value" is a relative term. What market? Some areas have more used choices available than others. As I recall those are pretty standard 15" planers so it would really depend on condition. Do you have to do any work on it? Has it been run hard or only hobby use? If it's in like-new condition $700 might be OK. I would try to get it down to 6 or less if you can.
    Doug

Open case, close case? How many horse power? What is the condition of the unit? The old Jets were made on the same assembly line as many other imports such as Lobo, Enco, etc., so the value of an older Jet would fall in line with the value of one of those older units as well.

That seems high for an imported planer of that vintage. The quality back then was not the best. Check it out closely before you buy. My guess is that the seller is basing his price on what he paid back then. They have come down a lot in the 25 years since 1989. That probably is only a 2 hp motor, so check that out. A brand new, with warranty, Grizzly 15" enclosed cabinet with a 3 hp motor in the base is $1,125. Maybe less on sale. Parts for your 25 year old machine may or may not be hard to find. I like old machines more than most, but not old Asian machines. This may be a case to spend a little more and get a new machine.

CPeter

I got mine for $350 with light surface rust, same vintage. I think it's a 15HO. I gave it a light refurb and bought new knives, changed the bearings, oil, and belts. Probably spent a total of $425 for a smooth operating workhorse.

$700 is way high - $500 is the highest I'd go if I were you.

I would think 400 to 500 range.