Thread: Planer question

Planer question

I just picked up a Delta 22-580 planer off of craigslist. Works well. Feeds fine, but one thing I didn't think to check was the finished thickness indicator. Its way off. I mean much more than loosening the screw and moving the cover. Can these things be recalibrated? If so how?

The indicator is essentially a tape measure secured under the upper cover, with the end attached just inside the infeed side about halfway down. You can reach in a pull the tape down and it'll retract when released. There may be some play in the end attachment. If that's not enough to correct it, then adding a spacer to raise or lower the tape's end should be fairly simple.

You could put a Wixey planer gauge on it and be done.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I don't pay much attention to the gauge on my planer. I start measuring with an engineering square or calipers when it gets close.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I would go with Myk Rian's suggestion. I have used a Wixey planer gauge almost since they were first introduced and it has been an excellent add-on to my planer. The new ones have an angled display that makes them much easier to read.

Blog Entries
    I use mine as more of a reference for setting the initial height, but then use my digital calipers to check thickness as I proceed with the planing. I have a pair of 6" ones from Harbor Freight that are more than 10 years old and still going. I do replace the battery periodically. I think I paid less than $20 for them.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute