Thread: After 20 years.... I'm a rookie again!

After 20 years.... I'm a rookie again!

That's an odd feeling. I've been an hobbyist woodworker for over 20 years. Several projects a year. Beds, entertainment centers, tables, cabinets, etc. I filled my home with furniture and stuff over the years. Then a big life change and my priorities changed, got busy with other things, and been out of the shop for about 3-4 years. Only doing simple stuff around the house, maybe a Christmas gift or two, but no big projects.

So with my son getting his first real place, I decided to make him a few things. Ugh! I really lost the mojo.

Tons of rookie mistakes. Forgetting that Ply is not 3/4 but 23/32. Cutting on the wrong side of the line. Not checking square on glue up. Forgetting when and how to wipe off glue drips... Really stupid stuff. Things that I used to do automatically without thinking, I must now plan ahead for and really concentrate on.

Interesting how the mind works, when you get good at something, automation takes over, now I must really think it through. I'll have to just go slower and be more careful and triple check everything.

Of course, this could all just be old age. But I prefer to call it "out of practice".
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

keep working and the past experience of wood working will come back

The next time you go swimming, you may want to start off in the shallow end.

Just kidding!

John

I go through that every year,Mike. I only work in my shop from November to March. I always start out my shop season by making a jig or shop improvement. Nothing where appearance or detail is important. Then my old brain can take a few days to acclimate to the shop.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I'm just dreading the day that I forget that BLO-soaked rags can combust if bunched up and thrown in the trash. I've been meaning to write a reminder on the can, but I keep forgetting to do it! I hate getting old!

Keith, enjoy getting older, just do it one day at a time. Remember the alternative is NO good.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Wood working is like riding a bike.....every now and then you hit a bump, slip off the seat and take the handle bars in the privates. On a given day I'm capable of doing any number of the things you mention, and I do this 45-60hrs per week! So go easy on yourself, take a little studder step before each operation and ask "am I forgetting something?" I'm sure the things you make your son will be fine and appreciated in spite of any minor technical errors.

Fortunately this is not a fine furniture project. It is a rolling kitchen cart with storage, drawer and a cutting board top. His apartment is small and counter top space is at a premium. He loves to cook so the cutting board will get a workout and that means food everywhere. Knowing his housecleaning efforts, this cart will be quickly smudged up so my little fixes and imperfections will quickly be lost in it's heavy use. I'll be concentrating on sturdy and functional for this one, with a side helping of getting acclimated to the shop. Then the next project I'll hopefully be back up to speed and can begin a fancier effort.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Circo View Post
    That's an odd feeling. I've been an hobbyist woodworker for over 20 years. Several projects a year. Beds, entertainment centers, tables, cabinets, etc. I filled my home with furniture and stuff over the years. Then a big life change and my priorities changed, got busy with other things, and been out of the shop for about 3-4 years. Only doing simple stuff around the house, maybe a Christmas gift or two, but no big projects.

So with my son getting his first real place, I decided to make him a few things. Ugh! I really lost the mojo.

Tons of rookie mistakes. Forgetting that Ply is not 3/4 but 23/32. Cutting on the wrong side of the line. Not checking square on glue up. Forgetting when and how to wipe off glue drips... Really stupid stuff. Things that I used to do automatically without thinking, I must now plan ahead for and really concentrate on.

Interesting how the mind works, when you get good at something, automation takes over, now I must really think it through. I'll have to just go slower and be more careful and triple check everything.

Of course, this could all just be old age. But I prefer to call it "out of practice".

Worry not, even when your doing it every day and there is more work than you know what to do with, those things all still happen. Im sure there is a sweet spot.. But only a select few find it. Just enjoy the fact that your able to bless your son with some really great stuff.

Great place to be..