Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Make Your Own Curved Clamping Cauls

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Yes, but I think curved cauls were around long before the "bow clamp" existed.
    Really? Tell me more....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jack duren; 12-17-2017 at 3:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Really? Tell me more....
    Um...ok? Are you saying [non flat] shop made cauls didn't exist before the "bowclamp" or implying that the curve is not necessary because you can just use flat cauls with shims.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    "In my experience, unless you have a significantly thicker (in cross section) bottom caul it will bend."

Jared don't you want the cauls to bend??
    If you have 2 curved cauls yes. I was referring to attempting to only use a curved caul only on one side. The curved caul will cause the flat caul to bend towards the curve caul, Resulting in a non flat plane.

Use 2 flat cauls in opposition, or use 2 curved cauls in opposition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    That's kind of the point, isn't it?
    Not if you were expecting it to remain flat.

Jack you have a nice shop and those two pics with the wedges gave me some good ideas!
    WoodsShop

I've made these several times. I use the jointer to make them per job. In my Murphy's Law shop, the cauls from the last project are never the right length or thickness. So, I just make them from cut offs from the current project - which usually makes them the perfect length and width. I joint the curves on the jointer. I try not to make them longer than 36-48". They're just easier to handle and make when shorter.

They're easy enough to make, and the reader should know that the curve, type of wood, and accuracy is not so critical. I learned the paper test from Mike Henderson, but truth be told, even when they're not perfect, they work well.

If one wants to become a professional juggler start by balancing two cauls, and two clamps on a hectic glue up.

All thread, a better way.

DSCF9879.JPG
    Larry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Um...ok? Are you saying [non flat] shop made cauls didn't exist before the "bowclamp" or implying that the curve is not necessary because you can just use flat cauls with shims.
    Been using a clamp cauls since 83. Only using Bow Clamp as an example because it's a purchase caul.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-18-2017 at 12:54 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Copas View Post
    If one wants to become a professional juggler start by balancing two cauls, and two clamps on a hectic glue up.

All thread, a better way.
    When I'm applying clamps on cauls, I put one clamp on one end of the two cauls, but over the panel - not outside the panel. That allows me to tighten that clamp without regard to the other side.

Then i go to the other side and put a clamp on the two cauls on that side over the panel. Normally, I just tighten that clamp until the cauls are brought in contact with the wood.

No juggling, easy peasy, quick.

But if threaded rod works better for you, go for it.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-18-2017 at 2:38 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The threaded rod idea is neat. I like it.

Threaded rod (and some nuts and washers) is a lot cheaper than a ton of clamps. I can see some advantages to using this idea, especially since I am relatively “clamp poor”

One could even substitute carriage bolts for the threaded rod and eliminate the rod/nut protrusion on the bottom. Cheap at Tractor Supply.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I always use culls. Cauls get really messy.

I'm don't know how folks are making their cauls but why not make a template with a arc drawn say 4 ft long that gives the 3/8" per side and use what ever length you need for a given caul. Would that work?
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan T Jones View Post
    I'm don't know how folks are making their cauls but why not make a template with a arc drawn say 4 ft long that gives the 3/8" per side and use what ever length you need for a given caul. Would that work?
    Dan
    The problem is that different woods bend differently. Even different batches of the same wood bend differently. Doing something like the OP did takes these differences into account.

But as Prashun said earlier, you really don't have to be exact with cauls and they'll still work.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.