Thread: CBN grinding wheels

Question CBN grinding wheels

I'm interested in upgrading my slow speed 8" grinder to a new CBN wheel (Cubic Boron Nitride). I have checked out both D-Way tools 8x1 1/2" and Craft supplies Raptor model 8x1" wheels. Both are similar except for the width as the D Way is 1 1/2 inches wide as apposed to the 1" wide Raptor from Craft Supplies. Also Raptor has a large side grind area on the side of the wheel which appeals to me. I did note that D-Way's CBN also claims it can grind carbon steel where-as Craft Supplies Raptor cannot. Does anyone have pros or cons either way with either of the two wheels or another option available, any suggestions a bit confused here? Thanks Jim Lwood

Welcome, Jim! I do not have CBN wheels (yet) but here is a good thread on that:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tor-CBN-wheels

Speaking from ignorance - I would be very surprised if the Craft Supplies Raptor couldn't be used on carbon steel. Good luck.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Let me just say that the extra 1/2" is a real plus for the D-Way! I have not found that a side grind would make much difference for me, though Dave's new wheels have a side grind area, as well.

Most turners (myself included) seem to really like the extra width once they use it. I suppose that If you used the vari-grind 2 instread of the older veri-grind that most of us prefer that it would not matter as much. It does eliminate most falling off the edge of the wheel. The D-Way wheel does have some grit on the side - about 1/4"
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I consider the wider wheels to be like variable speed lathes, once you have them you won't want to go back. Even after many years of turning and sharpening, I would still run off the edge of the 1 inch wide grinding wheels, even when I was using grinding jigs for my gouges. Not a problem any more, and not just because I switched to platform sharpening.

CBN wheels are excellent for sharpening 'hardened' steel. So, cold rolled steel, aluminum, brass, and other softer metals can be sharpened on your CBN wheels, but they can clog them up. You will feel the wheel start to 'bump' as it loads up a bit. To clean them off again, just sharpen some HSS or the V10 metal tools to the wheel, and it comes off. You can sharpen your bench chisels on the CBN wheels no problem. This is the same with all the CBN wheels.

As for the side grind, I don't use it. Dave told me it is mostly the carvers who like it. There can be some mounting problems on some grinders because of the shaft length. Dave does have an adapter that will solve this problem. He also makes a radius edge wheel, which I am not really sold on, though I do need to test it out. It is supposed to solve the problem of your tool handles running into your 'turning muscle' (that means your stomach if you don't get it) as you swing the tool handle through the sharpening arc. Since I learned before I was educated that it could be a problem, I never knew it could be a problem.

The Raptor wheels are made by Optigrind, and they do have a 1 1/2 inch wide wheel, which is made in Austria, and is distributed through a business in the US if you google them.

Dave will answer your questions.

robo hippy

I bought mine at SWAT this year. The extra width is nice. My wheel has the rolled sides instead of the sharp edge I have seen on others...so if I run off the edge it isn't as gnarly as with ceramic wheels. Supposedly David Ellsworth requested the rolled edges so they did a production run of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Sutherland View Post
    I bought mine at SWAT this year. The extra width is nice. My wheel has the rolled sides instead of the sharp edge I have seen on others...so if I run off the edge it isn't as gnarly as with ceramic wheels. Supposedly David Ellsworth requested the rolled edges so they did a production run of them.
    I wish they had made them before i bought mine. I keep a ceramic wheel with rounded edges on a second grinder to sharpen those small tips I use for hollowing. Last year David was at our club and we asked him about CBN wheels and he said he had never used them, but he got that chance during the 'hands-on' day.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have both 1 1/2" CBNs. Our club just purchased radius model. For gouges and large scrapers I would aree with John Keaton that the extra width is a plus. I free hand grind and move whatever I am sharpening around the entire surface of the wheel. I don't do hollow forms, consequently I don't feel a need for the radius corners.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I totally agree with Cindy Drozda's summary of when, where and why a CBN wheel is good to have around http://cindydrozda.blogspot.com/ Some steels need it to get a great edge.

For me, even without the exotic steels the CBN wheel is worth the money in the simple fact that it never changes diameter. I can take the minimal amount of steel off an M2 or powdered metal tool with a sharpening jig setup that can be fine-tuned to a science. I only have the 180 grit from D-way but considering the 80 to go completely CBN.

I have two of the Opti grind 180 grit wheels in the 1 1/2" width. They are very nice and I like the extra width along with the extra width on the edges. Having said that I needed a 80 grit and had a friend lend me his grinder with D-way 80 grit and 180 grit on his. They are nice wheels also. I sent an order to D-way for one 80 grit and one 180 grit and they are on there way. I have two grinders if anyone is wondering why so many. I like setting angles and go. You need to decide if the edge width is important enough for your purchase decision with Opti Grind. Both companies are great to deal with.

One thing I can say is once you go CBN you will want everything to be CBN so consider saving on shipping and get one each right away. The fact they don't change size and no more silica dust is a huge advantage, at least to me.