Thread: storing carbide resaw bandsaw blade

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county

storing carbide resaw bandsaw blade

Hi all. I am a single bandsaw shop, simply no room for a dedicated resaw machine so I am a blade changer. Getting pretty good at it EXCEPT for when I take my carbide Resaw King off the saw. It came with a plastic sleeve over the teeth and I always put it back on. At least triples the time to change blades compared to other changes. Maybe more than triples.

So the question is, do you other owners of a good carbide blade bother with replacing the plastic protector over the teeth before you loop the blade and store it away? Am I being ridiculous replacing this every time if it was only needed for protection during shipping? Or is there danger of breaking a tooth as I twist the blade to coil it up? Thanks.

James

Blog Entries
    I do not put the plastic protector back on.

I don't coil my blades to store them (unless they are brand new and still coiled). I hang them on a nail up high on a wall.

I see no reason to keep putting the protector back on unless it just makes you feel better.

Bill

I store my blades coiled up, no covers, on an aluminum garden hose holder mounted on the wall behind the saw.

I coil, no cover

I don't use carbide tipped blades, but if I did, I would do like Bill Geibe does. Re-coiling and uncoiling looks to me like a good opportunity to chip teeth.

John

Yup, chipped teeth is the likely problem.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Geibe View Post
    I don't coil my blades to store them (unless they are brand new and still coiled). I hang them on a nail up high on a wall.

I see no reason to keep putting the protector back on unless it just makes you feel better.

Bill
    +1, except I use two nails about 10" apart to spread out the point load on the bands.

Coil the blade and hung on the wall. Or put them on pizza box.