Thread: Oliver 270 Sliding table saw fence

Oliver 270 Sliding table saw fence

i just purchased a Oliver 270 Sliding table saw. I would like to adapt a biesemeyer T fence to it. The issue is the fence can only move over to 6" from the blade. Meaning if i slide the fence as far over towards the blade, it can only go to 6" away from the blade.The T fence locking arm overhangs 7" on either side of the fence which keeps it from moving any farther over. I think the easiest way around this is to lower the fence rail. This would mean the locking cam on the fence would have to move down also. This cam is welded to the fence. This would have to be re welded perfectly if it is to work. I am wondering if any of you have ran across this situation over the years.

thanks
    kenny
    Attached Files Attached Files

Extremely rare saw. My first choice would be an original center mounted micrometer fence but Beisemeyer made a fence that was offset to the left to work on sliding table saws. They show up used once in a while. Another option would be a fence from a Euro slider. The original fence would add to the value of the saw as it is desired by buyers. Dave

That looks like a great saw, would love to have one to play with!

Thanks Dave. I do have the original rack and pinnion fence but it is not so practical to use on anything but soild wood. I have been looking for a offset biesemyer for some time now with no luck. When you mention the original center mounted micrometer fence. Is that the Oliver fence that came stock with this saw or another fence system? I have been looking for a 270 for some some time, one came available in Ca. so i jumped on it. There is nothing like using a solid saw like an oliver. Changes the way you think about projects, especally with a 16" blade. Let me know if you can think of a fence system that would be adaptable to this 270. I do not want to drill a bunch of holes in the table but i am sure i can get creative with the mounting.

thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Extremely rare saw. My first choice would be an original center mounted micrometer fence but Beisemeyer made a fence that was offset to the left to work on sliding table saws. They show up used once in a while. Another option would be a fence from a Euro slider. The original fence would add to the value of the saw as it is desired by buyers. Dave

Kenny, could you use a Biesmeyer style fence, and just build up the left side of the fence to get it outside the t bracket? Or you could use a Unifence or something that uses an extrusion. My Felder uses a big extrusion that is about 6" wide one way, I bet that would get you past the t lock. Aigner, or Felder would have them probably.

Here is a link to a pic of the style I am thinking of from Felder.

http://www.felderusa.com/us-us/produ...-details.html#

I'd also check with some used machinery guys. Pleasant Street Machinery ( Ben Rock ) Fred Rehak in Suttons Bay MI, etc. They may have old sliding saws they have parted out. I have a SCMI rail but no head so someone might have what you need. Dave

Wow, what a machine...

I am with Dave on this: If it were my project, I would try to find a rail (preferably round bar...) and knuckle assembly off a Euro-machine and graft it on there. I know that if a customer wants to buy those parts from us, it is in the $800 range but possibly, you can find something used for a lot less. Yes, you would have to drill a few holes but that's not a big deal and the setup would be about 10X more solid than a Biesemeyer. Here is what I am talking about, for reference...

Best of luck with it and please report back on what you end up doing. Fascinating project.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Can't remember the name, but there is a member who makes Beis type fences. Supercool tools or some such name. He might be able to make an offset one for you?

Rick Potter

thank you Dave, Steve, Erik and Rick! . I am loving all the feed back. I will search for a euro fence or parts from one, just do not have any solid resources there. One of the issues with this fence set up is, i don't want it to look hooky. This is a solid saw and needs a matching fence. Erik, the fence shown in that photo would get me very close. What fence system is that?

Kenny, that is the fence off one of our sliding panel saws, the SC4 Elite. I think you will find that the design is universal to Euro sliders and no matter who the mfr., the design will be pretty much the same. It is simply a round steel guide bar with a series of studs, which mount it to through-holes (which would need to be drilled, in your case) in the table casting. The hole bores would be smooth, not threaded, so the drilling could be done with a plain hand drill. You would simply use Nylock nuts to space/align the guide bar.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Egads, I just clicked on the link I posted, it goes to the whole machine. It's photo #4 if you enlarge them. I can get a better pic for you off my machine later if needed though. The Felder fence I referenced is similar to the one Erik posted in function, but instead of a round bar, its a rail thing. They are availible from Felder.

http://www.felder-tooling.us/8head-z...03220510m.html is the rail, and I don't see the fence head, probably have to call. Erik knows what you are doing though, and I bet his price is lower. Nothing wrong with the Felder fence, but that price sounds pretty good for the MM.

Steve, I think that no matter who Kenny buys it from, assuming it's new stock, it's going to be around $1K. The cast knuckle will be the expensive part. Somehwere, some SCMi or Altendorf dealer must have a spare rail and fence laying around.

Another thought which occurred to me is a Tigerstop. It will be REALLY expensive but is universal and designed to bolt to anything.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA