Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chisel choice

Chisel choice

If you only had the choices of the Woodcraft Wood River chisels and Narex chisels to choose from, which would you choose and why? This will be my first chisel purchase and on my budget I have narrowed my choices down to these so far.

Thanks,
    Mike

Narex. I own three Narex mortise chisels and have been very happy with them.

Narex. I've never heard a bad thing said about them.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Narex, but I would opt for the better grade of Narex from Highland Hardware or Lee Valley. These have much thinner side bevels, which will help with some chisel work, such a dovetailing. Cost is only a buck or two more.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Not that I'm adding anything new, but go with the Narex. Like Jim I have the Narex mortise chisels and love them. I have a few "proper" old English mortise chisels and when I need an off size I happily go to the Narex.

I would follow tony's advice and get the narex chisels with a better grind on them.

The Narex are made in the Czech Republic, the wood river are made in China. If there is a reasonable alternative to China, I will take it. I would get the Narex

I wanted a largish chisel, didn't have a lot of money at the time, wasn't finding anything vintage for a decent price, and bought a 40mm narex, planning on replacing it someday. It's been a few years now, and it's probably my used chisel, and I haven't felt the need to replace it. I wouldn't mind the finer edge grind that the new narex have, but other than that my only complaint is that the handle is a little "clunky" - it's great on the mortise chisels, (which I also have) and I don't mind it on a large chisel, but I can see it feeling a little unwieldy on a smaller chisel. But we're woodworkers, we can fix that.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I've got a set of the Narex bench chisels from Lee Valley, two of their mortise chisels, and the set of skew chisels. I don't have an unkind word for them. They're great! Some people don't like the handles as they're not small like a few other makers, but they fit my big mitts just fine. Ugly? Maybe, but they sharpen up nicely and cut very well. From an amatuer's standpoint, I have no complaints and would happily buy them again.

I have the Narex from Lee Valley, and would happily buy them again. I have 2 of the new Lee Valley chisels in the 2 sizes I use most, 1/4 and 1 inch. I use them for work that requires finer control, cause they have smaller handles. To be sure, tho, they are luxury items (birthday presents!) The Narex are just fine.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    From all the admiration expressed over Narex chisels over the past few years it has even tempted me to buy a set.

However there are enough chisels in my shop already to keep me from doing this.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I have a 1\2 mortice chisel from Lee Valley. the only thing I don't like about it is the handle, my hand are on the small side.

I was not too impressed with my set of Narex bench chisels. They are good value and for the price and performance, but as a whole, not great in my opinion. I mentioned this not too long ago in another thread that blue handled Sheffield made Irwin chisels actually hold edge better even at lower bevel angle. My set of Narex is ok at best even at 30 degree bevel. 25 degree bevel Irwin hold edge much better. That is not to say Irwin is great, but better performer than Narex by far. My personal favorite is Ashley Iles Mk2 chisels. Good performer with wonderful handles, but that's not an option here, is it? Not sure of Woodcraft brand chisels, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Takeuchi View Post
    I was not too impressed with my set of Narex bench chisels. They are good value and for the price and performance, but as a whole, not great in my opinion. I mentioned this not too long ago in another thread that blue handled Sheffield made Irwin chisels actually hold edge better even at lower bevel angle. My set of Narex is ok at best even at 30 degree bevel. 25 degree bevel Irwin hold edge much better. That is not to say Irwin is great, but better performer than Narex by far. My personal favorite is Ashley Iles Mk2 chisels. Good performer with wonderful handles, but that's not an option here, is it? Not sure of Woodcraft brand chisels, though.
    I would agree with what Sam has said, but let me explain my earlier post about Narex. My wife, in her unending quest to buy me either a birthday or Christmas present, ordered the original Narex set for me. I ordered a couple of the Narex with the thin side bevels, just to play around with. I have Ashley Iles original & butt style chisels, plus a couple of their round back. The Ashley Iles are excellent, albeit a bit more pricey than the Narex. As far as other modern chisels, the wood handled Bucks sold by Craftsman Studio are a good, economical choice and price wise competitive with Narex. I also have a few LN. The rest of my accumulation are vintage.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I also agree with the better grade of Narex chisels. I have several and really like them.