Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holly: A Little Bleach and Burning

Holly: A Little Bleach and Burning

Last spring, I ordered some two part wood bleach to use on holly roughouts that had stained. Finally got around to opening the box a couple of weeks ago. Thinking that the bleach and water rinse would raise the grain, I didn’t sand the boxes well enough before bleaching. By the time I had resanded after bleaching, most of the bleached cells had been removed. Being too impatient to repeat the process again, I went ahead and played with the burner and dye.
    1 Holly Boxes r.jpg2 Holly Boxes r.jpg

I did a better job of presanding this bowl so had less to do after bleaching. It was also less stained to begin with I believe.
    3 Holly Bowl r.jpg4 Holly Bowl r.jpg

The color difference is pretty obvious.
    5 Holly r.jpg6 Holly Boxes r.jpg

Especially on the bottoms where I didn’t remove the tenon until after bleaching.
    7 Holly Bowl and Boxes r.jpg

All my stuff is just practice anyway. For what I am not sure.

8 Holly Boxes r.jpg
    The boxes are 3.5”w x 4.25” and 3.25t. The bowl is 7.5” x 2”.
    All three are finished with a matte final fixative and renwax.

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome!

Everything looks great! Neat idea about bleaching. Never would have thought of that...
    Billy

Those all look Great Baxter! Awesome job on the pyro and dye, really nice ogee on the bowl and the boxes look great too. Really like the contrast of the white wood and the burning, especially on the bowl.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I like your burning and your color. Of course your turning as well. Is the one lid pierced ? I have been playing around with some burning, no where good at it yet. Carl

I really like the burn-only pieces. the patterns, especially on the bowl, are very clean. The dye leaves me cold. The bleach gives a very clean uniform 'canvas' for the burn art. The turning are nice in form and the burnings complement that form well.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Bax
    All nice but I love the bowl. You hit on a beautifully proportioned shape and the pyro is the perfect compliment.
    faust

Great stuff, Baxter. Really like the Pyro work!

You are getting pretty fancy with the pyro. I also like the bowl. I have been thinking about trying bleaching. I like the light colored woods. NICE JOB!

9. Man Baxter, all your work is outstanding I love the pyro, the form and the detail is exquisite. The platter has a calming effect on me as I look at it, like I could just gaze at it all day, just wonderful work as always.

I think you are on your way..these are delicate & very appealing..I like the color in it. The liittle box with red & green is just super..hope you stick with this awhile & share more, more more!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Those are all beauties Baxter. Excellent pyro.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautifully done and the art work has a refined understated appeal. Allan.
    C&C WELCOME

very nice, i espically like the boxes, the holly stands out, the form of sideview, top , and bottom super

get ready for xmas cuss once the relatives see one , all will want some, cheers

14. You just keep upping your game, Baxter! Those are fine! Sweet pyro and geez........from the looks of things that you have posted lately, one would get the impression that you are serious about this woodturning thing!

Superb work........congratulations on some finely done items.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

All nice forms and they look good together as well.