Thread: wooden thread cutting, small sizes

wooden thread cutting, small sizes

I came across this nice thread on the subject but .....
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t-I-have-found

I need smaller than 1/2" and from what I've seen (so far) the smallest is 1/2".
    Anyone know how I can get 1/4" or 3/8"?

I've also been on youtube and saw lots of good ideas,
    but most of it was big stuff ......

1/4" and 3/8" are getting small enough that you may have trouble with the strength of the threads, since you can't make them as big as you would on larger stock.

One option would be to chase the threads on a wood lathe. That works well in some types of wood. Another option would be to simply use a coarse thread tap and die for metal. If you have a lot of it to do, you might consider making your own screw box and tap. The Beall system could probably handle the external threading, but you would still have to make a tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    1/4" and 3/8" are getting small enough that you may have trouble with the strength of the threads, since you can't make them as big as you would on larger stock.

One option would be to chase the threads on a wood lathe. That works well in some types of wood. Another option would be to simply use a coarse thread tap and die for metal. If you have a lot of it to do, you might consider making your own screw box and tap. The Beall system could probably handle the external threading, but you would still have to make a tap.
    I've been looking seriously at the Beal System. I have lots of threads to do so this looks like a good way to go about doing it. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to see what they say. I'm looking at how I can adapt my project to using the 1/2" size but that's not my favorite option. I wonder what the best type of wood would be to use in this case? I do have mesquite on hand ....... but I'd rather just buy the dowels instead.

I made a repro of an embroidery frame from violet wood(as was the original). the threads were 3/8" diameter. I made a special tap to tap the lignum vitae nuts,but threaded the small shafts(several inches long) flawlessly on my metal lathe,using a router mounted at 45 degrees. I've posted a picture of it here in the past year or 2.

Violet wood is very hard. I fully recommend very hard wood. The Beal system might work fine,if it can cut diameters that small,but you'd still need a tap. I THINK my tap was about 8 or 10 thds/inch,but would have to look at it. Large threads (larger than metal threads) for the same diameters are always found on antiques. They need to be large for strength.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-27-2013 at 9:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I made a repro of an embroidery frame from violet wood(as was the original). the threads were 3/8" diameter. I made a special tap to tap the lignum vitae nuts,but threaded the small shafts(several inches long) flawlessly on my metal lathe,using a router mounted at 45 degrees. I've posted a picture of it here in the past year or 2.

Violet wood is very hard. I fully recommend very hard wood. The Beal system might work fine,if it can cut diameters that small,but you'd still need a tap. I THINK my tap was about 8 or 10 thds/inch,but would have to look at it. Large threads (larger than metal threads) for the same diameters are always found on antiques. They need to be large for strength.
    this is the thread (yup, a pun, intended!)
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...y-stand-I-made
    wow! if that isn't just the most amazing craftsmanship, ....
    ok, yeah, what I ask can be done, but by mere mortals?

Glad you found it. You do a better search than I do. Note how large the threads are vs diameter. Remember,the original was made in India(I think) likely by someone with simple means. Of course,they probably made this type of thing their whole life. I think that India was the source due to the style,and type of extremely milk whey colored ivory. Not yellowed at all,just a nearly translucent,dead white. I like African better. Ivory varies from different areas,even different areas in Africa.

My customer likes things aged,so I rubbed trace amounts of lamp black into the V grooves(you can't see them) in the ivory rings at the base of the columns,and other places. In houses heated with coal for hundreds of years,this sooty trace is always found in very light surfaces like ivory. It's hard to do it realistically,though I have gotten it figured out by now.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-27-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Dennis,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate your location.

Glad you found it. You do a better search than I do.
    One way to make searching easier is to use your own name in the search if you are searching for one of your own.

Another is to go to the bottom of the page of a post you know you will be searching again and add some tag words.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-28-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use my name and "I made",but had a senior moment and could not see the "search" function.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Dennis,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate your location.

One way to make searching easier is to use your own name in the search if you are searching for one of your own.

Another is to go to the bottom of the page of a post you know you will be searching again and add some tag words.

jtk
    ok, I've updated my profile a bit. I joined awhile back, lurked mostly ....
    but now I'm in the thick of my new project/business and I got lots to learn.
    Y'all have been great and I'm learning a ton! Thanks everybody!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Glad you found it. You do a better search than I do. Note how large the threads are vs diameter. Remember,the original was made in India(I think) likely by someone with simple means. Of course,they probably made this type of thing their whole life. I think that India was the source due to the style,and type of extremely milk whey colored ivory. Not yellowed at all,just a nearly translucent,dead white. I like African better. Ivory varies from different areas,even different areas in Africa.

My customer likes things aged,so I rubbed trace amounts of lamp black into the V grooves(you can't see them) in the ivory rings at the base of the columns,and other places. In houses heated with coal for hundreds of years,this sooty trace is always found in very light surfaces like ivory. It's hard to do it realistically,though I have gotten it figured out by now.
    I'll bet the people who lived in those old houses had traces of that coal soot in their lungs, as well.

I'm sure they did.Much of my young life I lived in wood or coal heated houses. In later years,when I walked down a street where I smelled coal smoke,I'd get a nostalgic feeling.