Thread: Poor Man's Router

Blog Entries

Poor Man's Router

Paul Sellers shows the concept of a plane being just a holder for a chisel blade with his simple "Poor Man's Router" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2a_FwjAgk

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Of course I never would have thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Paul Sellers shows the concept of a plane being just a holder for a chisel blade with his simple "Poor Man's Router" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2a_FwjAgk

jtk
    I'm actually a big fan of Paul, but on my latest project (pics coming soon) of my driveway gate, I gave the poor man's router a shot on the male portion of a bridle joint. I wasn't impressed. I did better just paring across the board.

That said, it could simply have been the softness of the cedar I was using, or perhaps I was taking too big of a bite. It isn't easy to micro adjust. Or maybe I took his "somewhere between 35 and 45 degrees" as an excuse to not really measure the angle and just go for it.

One thing's for sure...I'll definitely be trying it again on another project with different wood and fewer time constraints. Oh, and I might also try the really poor man's router. Also, the not so poor man's router.

That's not up to his standards in most of his other videos. Router planes aren't an expensive (or uncommon) piece of kit. if he spent a little time in another video showing newbies how to make an old hags tooth, it'd be more useful.