Thread: Cheap table?

Cool Cheap table?

I had some reclaimed lumber, and a request for a small Dinette Table. Ok, Tablesaw is still at the old shop, 21 miles away. Decided to see how much I could do, with just hand tools. Took about a week, and almost every handtool I had. I did have to use a circular saw for some rips, and a sabresaw to cut the aprons to shape. Top was bevel on it's edges, using just a few hand planes. There is a stretcher between the front and back apron that is installed using a dovetail joint. Hand cut one, at that. Got things to the point that a coat of BLO could be put on the table. SDC14279.jpgapron shape. Frnt legs only have a taper, on two faces. Back legs will be against a wall and a counter, so they stayed square.SDC14277.jpgwhile the legs and aprons are Oak/Ash (?) the top is Pine. An old waterbed frame was cut up to make the top. You can see the joint on the end viewSDC14278.jpgSo, why do I call this a Cheap Table? All I bought for this project was a bottle of glue, and a few screws.

Took this table outstairs to show off to my Daughter. table is now in use, don't ask about IF it will go back to the shop!SDC14280.jpgChair is a Hand-me-down from MY grandma. I think I might have a match in colour???

I think it suits the chair well.
    I certainly wont try anything like this with hand tools only, definitely not a dovetail.
    Good job.
    My hobby is life.