Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cherry Bowl Blank

Beautifully big cherry bowl! It will be great just to look at, or you can load it up with pumpkins for display in the fall. Hope it dries intact for you.

very nice, nice form

I love your stuff. Nice ripple you got there.

Hey Baxter...I'd like to see some additional shots/details on your outboard rest as well. Curious how you lock it down...assuming you have something at the base...i.e chunk of cast iron or concrete, but would like to think something more rigid?
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

What's not to like? Except that it is "only" 23 inches...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Baxter,

Great looking bowl, and I really like the beads. Nice job.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Nice outboard tool rest setup, but I like the arm you have for your lights, outlet strip, and dust collection hose! (picture 6). Is that home made? I'd like to see more pictures of it.

Oh yeah, and nice bowl! I would have roughed it out and let it dry a couple years before turning it, I just don't like warped bowls. Love the looks of Cherry, which I could get my hands on some. I might have cut that big blank down and made two 12" bowls (or would that have been four 12" bowls for a 24" chunk?). But a 23" bowl is pretty impressive.

Baxter, that is one very nice BIG bowl. I too like the beads.
    Lori K

Sure is a nice big bowl. I'm like Pat I would have twice turned it to keep it from warping. Big bowls are a lot of work, about 17" is the best I can do with my set up. I'm impressed with one 23" but don't have much desire to do one.
    Fred

Thanks for taking the time to comment!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl A. Prince View Post
    ...... When it is dry how will you reverse chuck it to do the bottom? .....
    My thought at present would be to screw a 24" circle of plywood to a faceplate. Mark out a 23 1/4 circle using the toolrest to hold the pencil steady. Center the bowl in the circle that was drawn and shim it so it doesn't rock. Hot glue and strap it to hold it in place. I assume that would hold well enough to flatten the bottom. My largest vacuum chuck is 6". I don't think there would be a problem holding it, just centering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    ..... It is hard to tell what the final size is, could you give us the dimensions?
    Steve, it ended up 23 1/4 by about 6-7".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    Hey Baxter...I'd like to see some additional shots/details on your outboard rest as well. Curious how you lock it down...assuming you have something at the base...i.e chunk of cast iron or concrete, but would like to think something more rigid?
    Tim, the rest isn't really locked "down". The arm is locked in place by tighening the two 1/2" bolts. There is a straight line between the tool rest and the floor.
    Outboard Stand Boring Bar.jpg
    Boring Bar Setup.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    What's not to like? Except that it is "only" 23 inches...
    Sorry to dissappoint Mike. 26+ might have been an option but I thought it would be best to turn away all the sapwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Nice outboard tool rest setup, but I like the arm you have for your lights, outlet strip, and dust collection hose! (picture 6). Is that home made? I'd like to see more pictures of it..........
    Pat, the arm is an assortment of scraps I had in inventory. I cobbled them together after seeing the arm on the new 4224 this summer. I was in the lathe modifications mode at the time.
    Power and Light Bar.jpg
    Thanks again. I was lucky to stumble across such nice wood.

Baxter, you should market that arm assembly...
    I drink, therefore I am.