Thread: frozen

frozen

How long before I need to anchorseal some frozen logs

Can I wait a little while, 2 weeks, till I process them into blanks?

It is going to be -7 F tonite
    Carpe Lignum

Just guessing but I doubt it would do much good to Anchorseal them while they are frozen. I don''t think it would hurt them but I would wait till they are thawed out then seal them, more comfortable that way. If it will be a long time I would cover them with a tarp or plastic. It wouldn't hurt to cover them with snow.
    Fred

The colder weather generally brings very low humidity. Low humidity is going to draw moisture out of the wood quickly. Now, I understand that the logs are frozen, but I would not underestimate sublimation - that is, solid ice going directly to a vapor. Usually we think of water going from its solid state (ice) to a liquid, then from liquid to vapor. But if you have ever pulled out an ice tray and noticed that the ice cubes seem a little smaller than they did a few days or a week before, you have witnessed sublimation. I have lost some good wood thinking that the freezing temperatures would keep my wood from drying out. But sublimation will pull moisture from the wood even when it is frozen.

I don't know what the temperature range is for anchorseal, but if you have a garage that you could warm up the wood for a couple of days, or at least keep your anchorseal warm while applying it outdoors, it might save some of your wood.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I would process them as soon as possible. If you could take the logs into a garage then anchorseal them I think you could wait. If you can't and the logs have some length to them in a couple of weeks you could saw a couple of inches off the end to good wood and then process.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Had some green wood, fresh cut a week or so ago, sitting in my garage. Temps here lately have not gotten above zero and the wood is checking just like it would on a summer day. If you can't use anchorseal - I would put some plastic grocery bags around the ends to help seal the wood until such time as you can coat it.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!