Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cherry for the Holidays

thanks for sharing, awesome from the logs to the coring, no suggestions, i would have been happy with just a 3' section, awesome Baxter

Baxter, I say go big or go home. I have a 20+" red ambrosia maple the was left 2 1/2" and it has dried reasonably true. I think you will be fine if it is left thick. I wouldn't get into a hurry to return it. By the way, that is a sweet log!

Nice gloat Baxter the big ones take a long time to turn but there fun and worth every minute of it.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Nice haul Baxter. Love your presentation of this thread with all the pics.

What I would like to know more about is your outboard turning rig. It looks great from what I can see. Anymore info on it? Maybe a thread I missed?

Enjoy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Thanks again for commenting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephens View Post
    Nice haul Baxter. Love your presentation of this thread with all the pics.

What I would like to know more about is your outboard turning rig. It looks great from what I can see. Anymore info on it? Maybe a thread I missed?

Enjoy
    Thanks Mike. They are all just cellphone pictures. I enjoy just taking the phone out of my pocket to snap a picture along the way whether I ever post them or not. I am afraid a decent camera in my cellphone has turned me into a lazy photographer.

The outboard stand is something I made a couple of years ago for a Delta/Rockwell. The arm is 2x2 1/4" box tubing welded to a metal plate that bolted to the cabinet.
    Outboard Stand.jpg
    The upright post is whatever size scrap tubing I found to slip inside the 2x2 tubing.

I then moved it my 3520A by drilling holes in the leg and bolting it in place.
    2011-04-10_16-06-01_795.jpg

When I picked up a 3520B last summer, I made a new plate so I could use the tapped holes in the legs.
    Outboard Stand Boring Bar.jpg
    I also made a longer arm for it to be able to use it as a support for a rear trap when needed. The square plate on the bottom of the upright was added so that it would slide a bit more easily across plywood when the bolts are loosened.
    It works is about all I can say for it. You have to use a wrench to unloosen the nuts,(the heads of the bolt are welded in place) so it is not nearly as fast as unlocking and moving a banjo. It is pretty solid as long as you don't get way out on the end of the toolrest and try to take a real heavy cut. It gets the job done, just not as quickly as turning something inboard where the regular banjo can be used.

Very good Baxter. Thanks for taking the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.