Thread: Ash Bowl

Ash Bowl

This bowl was turned to finish last spring. I didn’t get around to sanding and finishing until early this month. It will be heading back to Maine as a thank you to my cousin for letting me pickthrough his firewood pile.

12-17-12 Fence Post Ash Profiler.jpg
    12-17-12 Fence Post Ash Endgrainr.jpg
    12-17-12 Fence Post Ashr.jpg
    15 ½ x 4 ½ x 5/16 except at the rim.
    Finished with Walnut Oil.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

That will hold a lot of salad. The little warpage adds character, and the endgrain almost looks like ridges and not growth rings.

I love the looks of that wood Baxter, sure didn't grow very fast either but very steady year after year, that is a nice bowl, I'd be proud to have turned it, thanks for showing
    Have fun and take care

4. Your cuz is gonna love it, Baxter.......thanks for showing it at our meeting last week also!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That has everything going for it, Baxter. Nice curve, rim and foot, grain nicely aligned, and it's going home.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Really nice bowl and gesture. I really like the grain of this wood and the nice form of the bowl.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great character, in both grain and shape. Also like the foot. Too many flat-bottomed bowls out there, glad you gave it some lift.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Your cuz is gonna love it, .......
    Not sure about that Roger, though I think he will remember the tree it came from.
    12-18-12 Maine Ash Fence Post 006.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    That has everything going for it, Baxter. Nice curve, rim and foot, grain nicely aligned, and it's going home.
    Thanks Doug. The tree grew on a stonewall behind his house. He is a dairy farmer but cuts a fair amount of wood in the winter. The best hardwood logs get sold for lumber and the rest becomes firewood. The insulators kept the lower 2 feet of the log from going to the mill. If the checking from both ends hadn't been so bad by the time I hauled it off the pile, it could have been a good bit bigger.

Hi Baxter.
    Really pretty wood. Sure you don't want to keep this one???

Nice bowl Baxter. I like the form and especially the wood!!!

Mike Ash

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Hi Baxter.
    Really pretty wood. Sure you don't want to keep this one???
    Thanks Prashun. This was the next to the largest out of a set of four. The other side of the log I cored into a set of three. Still have a few left to choose from! And he will be cutting more wood this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by mike ash View Post
    Nice bowl Baxter. I like the form and especially the wood!!!

Mike Ash
    Thanks Mike. The extra color was nice, along with it being "Ash" of course.

That is one pretty bowl Baxter! Love the grain and the rich color! You going to include the insulators with the bowl? Your cousin is going to love this!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    ........ You going to include the insulators with the bowl? .......
    Steve, he did say he wanted them back! The half that these insulators were on I cored to be returned. The largest outer bowl on that half does have some grey staining from the nails that I hope to be able to preserve. Would liked to have given him that one but don't want to wait another year. Maybe he will just get two.