Thread: Red Maple Plate: Burned and Dyed

Red Maple Plate: Burned and Dyed

At last month’s Chesapeake Wood turners meeting, the daughter of one of the members demonstrated how to use a woodburner and dye to create a landscape scene on a platter. I am no artist but wanted to try something simple on a couple pieces of punky red maple.
    12-17-12 Maple Leaf Plate 1r.jpg12-17-12 Maple Leaf Plate r Bottom.jpg
    9 ¼ x ¾ x 1/8

Thought the leaf could be a bit larger so tried again.

12-17-12 Maple Leaf Plate 2r.jpg12-17-12 Maple Leaf Plate 2r Bottom.jpg

11 x 1 x 1/4

Burned with a writing tip followed by Transtint dyes and Deft rattle can lacquer (along with my signature orange peel).

Not sure yet who is going to get stuck with them this Christmas!

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

2. The addition of the pyro and color really adds to these pieces......I might have to give that a go sometimes Baxter......yours were pretty inspiring and the simple writing tip is a plus for someone who hasn't acquired all those burner tips yet.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I do like the larger leaf for sure. Makes for a very nice picture

Great piece Baxter. I do like the larger pyro better.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

They are both very nice. I think the wood is good enough to have been left alone but the artwork adds a nice touch. Certainly not over powering but a great addition to the pieces!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

2 very nice pieces Baxter! Great job on the burning and coloring and I like the forms.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I tried some "painting" at one time, well you got me beat by a quarter mile Baxter, nice plates though, oh maybe, well..... I bet they where nice before as well
    Have fun and take care

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it. The leaf was traced using transfer paper, then burned and shaded. Coloring within the lines completed the illusion of me being an artist.

Hey Baxter. I really like the idea of adding some color. How do you stop the trans tint from 'wicking' into the adjacent wood? I wanted to try this but thought I would wind up without sharply defined color edges.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

My question too, how do you keep the color from bleeding through the grain? Use a sealer first? Thanks Jared

Doug and Jared, the burn lines stop the flow of dye...if you don't put too much on.....and can stay within the lines!

Thats good to hear. My wife, i think, is getting me a woodburner for christmas, at least that is what I asked her for. I have visions of doing somethings like you have. And I guess if she doesnt come through I will just buy one anyway. Jared

You sure picked that skill up fast!! Very well done sir!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Pretty cool artwork there Baxter! I like the larger leaf but find the smaller leaf more appealing because of the darker outlines. The edges of the large leaf seem to get lost in the color. I do like that you can control the dye somewhat. Will have to give this process some thought!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    Thats good to hear. My wife, i think, is getting me a woodburner for christmas, at least that is what I asked her for. I have visions of doing somethings like you have. And I guess if she doesnt come through I will just buy one anyway. Jared
    Since you are making out your list, don't forget the transfer paper as well. I picked mine up at ACMoore though HobbyLobby or Michels has it too. A "Dagger" brush made the dye application a lot more controllable as well.(At least as compared to the generic brushes I had used before.)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Pretty cool artwork there Baxter! I like the larger leaf but find the smaller leaf more appealing because of the darker outlines. The edges of the large leaf seem to get lost in the color. I do like that you can control the dye somewhat. Will have to give this process some thought!
    Thanks Steve. I will be interested to see what you come up with. OIt does open up some possibilities for the artistically chanllenged.