Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use Space Balls in Raised Panel Door Construction??

Anyone use Space Balls in Raised Panel Door Construction??

My rail and stile set cuts 3/8" deep grooves 1/4" wide for the stub tenons and the panels. I have been using 1/4" as my clearance for my panel size calculations, is that what you use when using space balls? I just read in the McFeely catalog you should use 3/16" allowance for the space balls. Space balls are .26" in diameter.

Thanks

George

Blog Entries
    I used 1/4". They work great.

All the Time

Yup. Works just fine.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I've used 100% silicone caulk and put the panels in when its wet. Works pretty good.
    Don

To your question about panel spacing, yes 3/16" is correct. The balls want to be under compression in use to keep the panel centered, and they can compress more to accommodate wood movement. I've used both balls and sponges, they certainly make the process simpler and improve performance.

1/4" OD tubing cut up does the same thing. It's not just the gap in the tongue but a little space to the raised part that needs to be left to expand to the shaped edge. Dave

We use them every single day of the week. We use a 1/2" tongue and groove profile, and the panel inset is 5/16", which compresses the 1/4" ball to 3/16". Any more than that and you risk the door popping apart if the panel expands in hot or humid weather. In fact, even with that recommended spacing, I've seen some pop apart when the door got really wet.

If you don't use a spaceball, then you'll need to make the panel inset a bit more to keep it from floating too much, and exposing unfinished areas, and/or rattling around in the frame.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Thanks for all the replies. I will change my panel clearance to 3/16"

George

Blog Entries
    Yes, but I often cut them in half depending on how much slop I ended up with in the panels.

I have used this item also but it was thinking on it more and i feel the space ballls are a very weak link in this.
    I end up depending on them to center and keep the panel tight. I have a total of around 100 doors or so made with them so far and no problems.
    But I have yet to come across any rubber item that does not dry out and im a bit worried about what is gona happen in 10-20 years as i hope to be putting out things that last 100+ years. also there really is a lot of outward pressure when i put this item in the door but that has not been an issue as of yet either.
    What do you guys think ?

Maybe some day I will regret it, but for the last 10 years, I have been using 5/8" 23 gauge pin nails strategically and discreetly placed on the back side of the door. The tiny pin nails are flexible enough to allow for shrinkage and swelling but not so weak as to allow gross movement or rattling under normal circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by andy photenas View Post
    I have used this item also but it was thinking on it more and i feel the space ballls are a very weak link in this.
    I end up depending on them to center and keep the panel tight. I have a total of around 100 doors or so made with them so far and no problems.
    But I have yet to come across any rubber item that does not dry out and im a bit worried about what is gona happen in 10-20 years as i hope to be putting out things that last 100+ years. also there really is a lot of outward pressure when i put this item in the door but that has not been an issue as of yet either.
    What do you guys think ?
    I bought a huge container of Space balls over twenty years ago, then closed my cabinet shop, so I have lots left. They are still as soft as they were twenty years ago, so I would not worry if I were too much about them getting hard.

Larry

Google panel buddies , whole lot cheaper
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Haven't used them yet, bit bought the Panalign strips from Somerfield's. They are suppose to maintain their elasticity and one of their sales pitch is because they are rectangular it minimized the chance they will slip down to the bottom of the door over time.