Thread: More Marshall Mesquite

More Marshall Mesquite

After getting back from San Jose early last summer, I cored the largest pieceof mesquite Kathy Marshall had given me. I took the center of the core to Maine with me and turned the small bowl on the left (and posted it) during the summer.
    1 Mesquite r.jpg
    I liked the color and usability of the little bowl so much that I thought I should make another to match it. I had taken a small blank of mesquite with me, but hated to turn away most of it ...and I couldn’t core it. Even though Kathy had anchorsealed the blank, I was so paranoid about it checking, that I also wrapped it with some stretchwrap. It started to get funky under the wrap…… but better than cracks!
    When I was able to turn and core out the center last month, the sapwood had discolored a bit. The colors obviously don’t match either. So muchfor the identical small beaded bowls. Will have to call it a his and hers!
    2 Cored Mesquiter.jpg4 Beaded Mesquiter.jpg3 Beaded Mesquiter.jpg
    9 x 3 3/8 and 7 x 2 x 1/8. Finished with walnut oil
    Thanks again for the wood Kathy. (Someday I will find the outside of that red one in my pile of bags and finish it!) It has been fun turning and using them!
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 10-09-2012 at 11:16 PM.

They are still very nice anyway. Do you only use walnut oil? Did you wax these?

Those all look great Baxter! I really like the bead on the big one and the beaded rim on the smaller one. Apparently mesquite agrees with you!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Great bowls Baxter. Love the mesquite color.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Baxter,

You are on a roll again. Well done.

Alan

another nice set, Baxter..the mesquite looks wonderful
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thanks for the encouragement and thanks again for the wood Kathy. It turns great, and with enough applications of oil, it goes from somewhat dull to beautiful. Michael, I will eventually wipe them with an oil/beeswax mix though they feel pretty good right now.

Well done Baxter...your forms always compliment the wood.

Paul

Nice work Baxter. Keep them coming.

Very nice. Gotta love that Arizona wood. All beauty and no movement!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

very nice.......

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meirhaeghe View Post
    ......... Keep them coming.
    I would like to Joe, just need to have someone keep sending me mesquite!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Ve....... Gotta love that Arizona wood. All beauty and no movement!
    Scott, that seems to be the pretty much the truth!

Baxter you have done that beautiful piece of Mesquite justice with those turnings! Gotta love the dramatic grain in the larger one with the sapwood.

Baxter, Nice work on some lovely wood! Kathy sure set you up good with those blanks and I can say the same for myself in the past! I have a bowl that needs to be finished one of these days from the blanks I got from her. I have one in the gallery that has the sap wood on one side and the gallery owner says that everyone looks at it and loves the contrast, but so far no buyers!

The finish you put on them is just beautiful by the way,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Great looking bowls Baxter! Sure love the rich color!!

I have lucked out and been able to turn Mesquite a few times and it is definitely one of my favorite woods to turn!! You sure did justice to this wood!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!