Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lie Nielsen Shoot Board

Type was spaced out with wooden blocks called "furniture". Hammond,and some others made specialized table saws,some with sliding tables,to trim furniture to size. This shooting board could have some usefulness in trimming the wooden furniture.

We had a Hammond given to the toolmaker's shop years ago. Having absolutely no use for it,we traded it off,for what I can't recall. Years ago,guys would convert them to tilt so they would be useful as woodworking saws. That seems like a big job! These days,low cost imports have made the conversions obsolete,except perhaps for the "cool factor" of having a Hammond "slider". They were heavy duty little saws,but only about a 6" blade. They did have finely adjustable,screw adjusted miter gauges for getting the length of furniture just right. Their blade's teeth were swaged to have a set on both sides. I still have a few of these blades. The swaged teeth,though,just do not make a smooth,"polished" cut like modern carbide blades. They are VERY sharp blades,though.

The key word was "BASICALLY" about the LN planes being copies of Stanleys. The LN's are beefed up,and better made.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-29-2012 at 5:29 PM.

I think he is refering to using them to square and even up the pages of books after they are bound. My wife has mentioned that planes are used for this several times in conjunction with asking me to build her a book press. I suppose you could use them for trimming up spacers but most shops had several different sizes of spacers already made that they would reuse.

That would be an entirely different plane,David. A plough plane is used by book binders to even up the pages of books. I made the plough planes for the book bindery in Williamsburg,and for my wife,and for a bookbinder friend who went to Australia for a few years. My Wife was working in the book bindery when she first came to Williamsburg. Subsequently,she privately made nearly 1000 blank books for the stores there to sell.

Thanks fellahs, I was clueless.