Thread: Blood wood cane.

Blood wood cane.

My wife and I made this cane for her father. I milled the lumber, kept her tools sharp and applied the finish. My wife came up with the design, and turned the piece. The hardware was purchased from Lee Valley.
    Thanks for looking.Cane handle.jpgCane Tip.jpgBloodwood cane.jpg
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Looks great! I hadn't considered making walking sticks, maybe I'll give that a try.

Lovely work! I'm sure that will be appreciated.

Thanks Ted, We were not sure how he would react. It took him a long time to "give in" to getting hearing aids. His wife offered him her dad's old cane, but my FIL said that was an old man's cane But he was very excited for the one we made for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Lovely work! I'm sure that will be appreciated.

Nice job. And useful, too.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Very nice cane, John (and wife). Tell me, were you able to turn the entire length of the shaft as one piece, or did you have to make it in two pieces with a join somewhere in the middle? My lathe is not quite long enough to turn the required length in one piece, and so I find it a bit challenging to make the mortise and tenon so that they mate perfectly.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Well done. Team work.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Beadle View Post
    Very nice cane, John (and wife). Tell me, were you able to turn the entire length of the shaft as one piece, or did you have to make it in two pieces with a join somewhere in the middle? My lathe is not quite long enough to turn the required length in one piece, and so I find it a bit challenging to make the mortise and tenon so that they mate perfectly.

Steve
    I hope that someone will figured a way to turn 2 or 3 pcs cane and drill the connecting holes perfect dead -center

that is a nice cane
    Last edited by ray hampton; 05-09-2012 at 2:41 PM. Reason: bad manners

We did it in one length and one piece. For my FIL's height it needed to be 34" We did turn it to a bit longer then cut off the waste. Our lathe has 43" between centers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Beadle View Post

Steve

Lee Valley does sell connectors to make it a two piece cane.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    I hope that someone will figured a way to turn 2 or 3 pcs cane and drill the connecting holes perfect dead -center

that is a nice cane

I like it a lot. Another project for my list.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7