Thread: Gloat and Questions - Ryobi Drum Sander

Gloat and Questions - Ryobi Drum Sander

I picked up a Ryobi WDS1600 drum sander yesterday off CL. The conveyor belt is a bit beat up, but the drum runs/sounds smooth. However, the last thing I noticed, and the last thing I asked the seller, was that the separate conveyor belt motor was missing. He said he had always used it with manual feed. He also bought it used.

So to my questions. Upon further inspection at home, it seems that the conveyor motor, the front roller, and the entire switch/pc board assembly is missing. Researching on the internet I can find a front roller and a new conveyor belt. But the motor, switch, its attachment to the front roller, etc has me stumped. I was hoping some of you mechanically inclined folks could steer me to the right motor?

I also noticed that most of the DIY drum sanders out there manually feed the material. Does anyone out there do this? MAybe I could forget about adding a conveyor motor and just manually feed.

Thank you in advance for your help

Take a look at M and D mower. They stock a pretty good selection of Ryobi parts...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Take a look at M and D mower. They stock a pretty good selection of Ryobi parts...
    Yeah, they have the motor and other stuff. $254 seems a bit high for a 1/15hp motor only. That doesn't even take into consideration the other parts. If that's my only option I'll toss it and wait for a used Performax for $4-500

shameless bump? anyone else??

If you're not concerned about using OEM parts, you can get a pretty cheap variable speed controller for a DC motor from Harbor Freight. The cheapest DC motor that I can think of would be a corded electric drill. You should be able to find one on CL for almost free.

I don't know for sure that combo would work, just an example of what you could scrounge together for cheap.

Definitely looking for the non-OEM version. That's why its $250+. Been awhile since these were manuf.

I was hoping some of those that have built their own sanders would chime it how they did it

I have one and it works fine. But if you decide to dump it maybe you should consider making it into a horizontal router table.

Bob

I have had various drum sanders over the years, and would definitely want a motorized belt. If I couldnt have that, I would at least make a hand crank so the stock was feed through by the conveyor belt. (in fact now that I think about it a hand crank wouldnt really be all that bad..... so consider this!).

For cheap variable speed motors (and I do think you want variable speed), a used drill is a great suggestion. The best option I can think of even. But you might want to replace the trigger with a trim pot/knob combination so you can simply turn it to a speed. The other option is a variable speed drive converter they sell for routers - you could hook that up to a universal motor. Or 'maybe' a light dimmer switch running a small induction (if the induction was run through a gearbox - you arent going to get it to go to really slow speeds directly).

But the simplest might be a hand crank (maybe get a kid and a bicycle with a belt to the wheel turning it......)

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Sears Parts Direct shows the feed motor for $183. It's still a lot of money..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Drive motor and control board from a treadmill. People use them on lathes also. Garage sales are good sources.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night