Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boiled Linseed Oil

Generally needs a topcoat...IMHO
    Jerry

Does tung oil have the same "bad" properties or finish as well as BLO?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Danny Hines
    Greenville, NC

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Bob, I obviously don't write this for your benefit, because you obviously have very strong views on BLO. I write for those reading along who may not have used BLO before and would consider it.

Bob is exaggerating the drawbacks of BLO in my experience.
    WOW !!! I LOVE IT !!! "In your experience" ... I have exaggerated ...

Did you even ever read the original question ???

"Does anybody use boiled linseed oil as a finish???
    Please give give me your opinion as to using as a finish. I have never used it"

He asked for opinions ... I gave mine ... based every word on fact ... either researched or from experience ... don't know (or much care) why that ruffled your feathers, but I stand by each and every comment in my stated opinion. Just because you've not experienced the negative aspects of Linseed Oil (yet), doesn't make them any less real. Answer your phone or get called away while slopping that garbage on a project, and find your house on fire when you get back ... you can be as careful as you want ... just don't ever have an emergency that throws you off ... if you still think it's worth the gamble, fine ... it's your shop ... I will NEVER promote the use of something as inherently dangerous as this junk to someone who has obviously no idea as to it's deadly hazards.

Hmm ... you seem to have read something into my post that I didn't intend. You gave your experience and opinion. I gave mine. I figured it couldn't hurt for people reading along to know that different woodworkers have different experiences with the stuff and views of it as far as its usefulness and dangers.

You can be irate that I disagree with your shouts of FIRE!! MOLD!! GARBAGE !!! but that's up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Hmm ... you seem to have read something into my post that I didn't intend. You gave your experience and opinion. I gave mine. I figured it couldn't hurt for people reading along to know that different woodworkers have different experiences with the stuff and views of it as far as its usefulness and dangers.

You can be irate that I disagree with your shouts of FIRE!! MOLD!! GARBAGE !!! but that's up to you.
    +1 to that.
    Paul

Tried and True is a good product. I've used it for years and will continue to do so. Is it nirvana? No. But it's a good product. It also cures nicely and without added driers. One slight correction to Scott's comment about the T&T Varnish Oil product...it's made with their linseed oil mixture combined with tree resin to make something akin to a varnish. I don't prefer it, but some folks really like it. I use just the straight oil version and the oil/bee's wax version. I do not hesitate to use these, even indoors near our birds, when the weather is not conducive to finishing out in my shop. They are pricy compared to 'Borg BLO, but applying them in very thin coats per the instructions means they last a very long time.

That's my comment about T&T from a personal perspective.
    -----

My comment as a moderator is for everyone to remember to remain respectful of others. There are many opinions about finishes and the level of subjectivity can get a bit heated. There are also a great many facts out there that are very useful, but also need to be kept in perspective.

Jim
    SMC Moderator

>>>> Does tung oil have the same "bad" properties or finish as well as BLO

Yes, and it dries much slower.
    Howie.........

Yupper ... AND ... it comes almost exclusively from CHINA ... another good reason to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    Yupper ... AND ... it comes almost exclusively from CHINA ... another good reason to avoid it.
    Are the moderators going to allow this poster to continue with his dillusional, racist and offensive remarks?
    Regards,
    Leo.

If you can convince the Moderators to BAN ME for making a simple "AVOID CHINESE CRAP & BUY AMERICAN" comment, so be it.

1) "dillusional" is misspelled and defined as : A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary. Would you care to elaborate on your accusations of same ???

2) "Racist" : Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination. "BUY AMERICAN" is PATRIOTIC ... NOT RACIST .. I never said Chinese are bad people ... I just don't like sending their political leaders all of our money.

3) Offensive : Causing anger, displeasure, resentment, or affront: ... a highly SUBJECTIVE concept ... WHO and HOW have the aforementioned comments offended ??? If someone researches my comment(s) ... verifies them ... avoids harming their health ... BUT YOU are offended ... I have no problem with that.

I have never cursed nor used inflammatory language ... nor have I resorted to insults and name calling as you appear to be on the verge of. I would suggest you look inwardly to confront some of your issues rather than seeking help from others simply because you don't agree with my comments. You are free to read or ignore my posts as you see fit, but to request I be banned for making them reveals something of your character.

So ... Moderators ... I ask you ... Is free speech here tolerated by this group even though one individual is somehow offended or misinformed about it. If not ... go ahead with the lynching ... otherwise I would suggest you make your position known.

As an added BONUS ... here's a quote from Lou Passant ... posted on these very forums a few short weeks ago "A large percentage of US industry is already metric to compete on the global market. It's usually the DIY markets and hillbillies that offer resistance." There you have delusional, racist, AND offensive ... all in one comment, AND HE'S COMPLAINING ??? Yeah ... SOMEONE should be banned alright.
    Last edited by Bob Wingard; 04-16-2012 at 6:59 PM.

... here's a quote from Lou Passant ... posted on these very forums a few short weeks ago "A large percentage of US industry is already metric to compete on the global market. It's usually the DIY markets and hillbillies that offer resistance." There you have delusional, racist, AND offensive ... all in one comment, AND HE'S COMPLAINING ??? Yeah ... SOMEONE should be banned alright.
    Blob, I don't think I mentioned banning! Through film and other media, hillbillies are portrayed as comical whipping posts, but I obviously misinterpreted the national sentiment towards them. I apologised for any offense at the time. The Chinese are a very fine people and don't deserve your hatred or ridicule. I don't mention American and crap in the same sentence. You might want to look into some form of therapy for your anger issues before posting more vitriol.
    Regards,
    Leo.

For what it's worth, tung oil comes from tung trees (Vernicia fordii ) that are native to China. While in the early to middle part of the 20th Century, the US had some luck raising the trees, those plantations long since failed. In short, if one wants tung oil, especially the finest grades, one is necessarily buying a Chinese product - that where the trees are.

I am almost positive that tried and true is made in the US.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Passant View Post
    Blob, I don't think I mentioned banning! Through film and other media, hillbillies are portrayed as comical whipping posts, but I obviously misinterpreted the national sentiment towards them. I apologised for any offense at the time. The Chinese are a very fine people and don't deserve your hatred or ridicule. I don't mention American and crap in the same sentence. You might want to look into some form of therapy for your anger issues before posting more vitriol.
    Lou ... I really appreciate your morphing of my name into BLOB ... I'm sure that was just a typo ...

In your request "Are the moderators going to allow this poster to continue" ... about the only real way to stop someone is a BAN ... care to explain exactly what it is you are asking of them ???

There is nothing sacred about the use of AMERICAN & CRAP in the same sentence ... "I once knew an American who took a crap through a hole in a board" ... pesky hillbillies ...

The Chinese are much like any other demographic group ... there are percentages of good and bad ... if you think they are all fine people ... you have the right to be wrong, which you are ... I would very much appreciate it if you could find and post a quote where I have indicated any hatred and/or ridicule towards them or any other group of people.

VITRIOL : "Cruel and bitter criticism." ... I don't think so ... at least not yet.

Sarcasm is something in which one should never dabble ... lack of proficiency simply makes said dabbler appear stupid.

Lou ... I really appreciate your morphing of my name into BLOB ... I'm sure that was just a typo ...
    Oops! Well we've established I'm a bad speller... what an idiot! Oh look... you have misspelled my name too! Twice!

Your world is very black & white. Moderators have more powers than banning.

Oh dear, we're not going down the path of swapping quotes are we? Ah well, here are a few that I felt were appropriate.

"Is sloppiness in speech caused by ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care."
    William Safire

"He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak."
    Molière in 'The Misanthrope'

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
    Mark Twain

"To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered."
    Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

"It is much easier to be critical than to be correct."
    Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881), Speech at the House of Commons, January 24, 1860

"I'm no pancake expert but I know a tosser when I see one."
    Anon

I'm bored with you now.
    Regards,
    Leo.