Thread: Creek Karma….

Creek Karma….

…at its best. A while back, Mike Allen asked about some apple wood to use in mending saw handles:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...rces-for-Apple

I happened to have some old growth Pennsylvania apple, from the days when the big trees got pushed down and replaced with more manageable, smaller trees, taking up room in my shop so I sent him a flat rate box full ….just to make myself feel good and free up some space.
    APPLE.jpg

Mike was very appreciative and wanted to at least pay postage, but I declined. After all, how can you be a good samaritan if you expect payment for a kindness. Yesterday Brown showed up at the door with a package from Mike. I was blown away by this 8ppi x-cut Keen Kutter#88 that Mike had rehabbed into a lean mean sawing machine with 12 degree rake, 20 degree fleam and a 20% set….it cuts like a dream. Thanks so much Mike. This saw will occupy a special place in my shop.
    saw.JPG

WOW.... 2 really nice people. You and Mike.
    Nice to heard good stuff like this.

A little while back, I shared some articles and set project plans with Mike Allen to help him in planning an upcoming build. He insisted on sending me a disston xcut saw as thanks. The rehab and filing job he did was outstanding. Seriously pro quality! Its now the best performing xcut saw I have. Thanks Mike indeed! Great guy, with a lot of talent
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 04-04-2012 at 6:56 AM.

I have to jump on here too. First, we should all be proud of the top-notch community that we enjoy here. I've really enjoyed exchanging and meeting some truly great individuals. Ted, both you and Mike set great examples!

As to Mike, I bought one of his rehabbed Keen Kutters (at a VERY reasonable price by the way) and have to agree; the rehab and sharpening in particular were nothing short of amazing!

We then began a conversation and he agreed to sharpen and "freshen" up a 1940's disston back saw for me. Again, phenomenal work and a huge amount of helpful advice from Mike. He's a great guy.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Blog Entries
    This saw will occupy a special place in my shop.
    What is that old saying, "no good deed goes unpunished?"

Great to hear about the good things others do for each other.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    We are all really lucky to have this community to share ideas and information about something we all enjoy like woodworking. Where else could you just post a message asking about where you might be able to find some Apple and have a guy like Ted just send you some in the mail!

It's a blessing to me to be part of the Creek and I'm really grateful for all the wonderful people I've met and gotten to know here. Ted, Jeff and Chris, thank you very much for your kind comments. It's a real pleasure for me to share a vintage saw with folks who appreciate and enjoy them (goodness knows after 20 years my wife is still wondering "Why do you have all those rusty things hanging from the rafters?).

All the best, Mike

Great going, guys.
    Where did I put that tape measure...