Thread: Old School Triangles

Blog Entries

Old School Triangles

A recent visit from another Creeker brought up a question about rip sawing wood. How do you keep the cut square. My answer was that after sawing awhile, one gets a feel. Any final squaring is done with a plane.

That got me to thinking about some of the drafting tools my father made when he was in school before WW II. So I made a few 30 - 60 triangles.

30º - 60° Triangle.jpg

The thicker one makes a good guide when ripping wood.

Triangle Guide.jpg

The hole can be used as a thumbhole to hold the triangle and the edge of the wood. It is also thick enough to stand on its own if you are using both hands on the saw.

Schools must have been a lot different back in the day of making your own drafting equipment. That was before my time. Then you would draw something and make it in shop. Much more rounded than the video game world of today.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Beautiful Jim

I like them. If you put two holes, one on each short leg side, you could put clamps in to hold something square.
    You could also hold them on your shooting board for shooting angles.

Jim, when you going to play with dividers?

Please keep up the good info.

Eric

Blog Entries
    Jim, when you going to play with dividers?
    I use them often, I even used a pair to layout some dovetail the other day. I find it kind of cumbersome for that and prefer to just lay out the tails by eye and square.

I have thought of making some dividers, but that will be awhile before that project ends up on top.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Nice, I've wanted to make some drafting triangles for a while. What wood are these?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Blog Entries
    What wood are these?
    These are from ash that I am working for a bench build.

jtk

Nice, Jim. And including the block plane in the photo provides some sense of size, too.

my sawing is awful, and something like this might help me hold a vertical line better. Thanks for sharing!

-Tom in SoCal

Jim, perhaps pass this on to your friend.

The specific tip that squared up my rip cuts is to keep my dominant eye directly over the saw blade.
    I was instinctively not doing that so I could watcn the line.
    For me, a true-running saw follows the line more naturally than I naturally hold the saw square.
    So I now put my focus on the harder (for me) of the two tasks.

Of course HMMV.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Blog Entries
    The specific tip that squared up my rip cuts is to keep my dominant eye directly over the saw blade.
    This sometimes works for me, but my problem may be due to being slightly ambidextrous. My dominant eye sometimes is my left eye and sometimes it's my right eye. Most of the time it isn't a problem and it seems to be somewhat controllable.

Using a fat triangle as a guide was mostly a way of having a use for a piece of scrap. It did help me to get on square.

jtk

Watch the saw... when the reflection of the work is aligned, you're at 90 degrees. If your saw plate doesn't reflect the image clearly, clean it up.. it'll cut faster too.

On topic- I think shop-made tools are great. Making ones' own drafting squares is good practice and gives some useful tools for the effort. Hurray for real wood working.
    Last edited by Steve Q Brown; 02-28-2013 at 2:52 AM.

I think I'd find this particularly helpful for roughing in beveled angles, (when you're ripping a board in two at a bevel, rather than just drawknifing or jackplaning the square edge of a board).

The saw plate reflection thing is good too, but a couple of my panel saws don't are dull enough that doesn't really work, so this might be helpful.

I always have to remind myself to pay a little more attention when I want the cut to be closer (as opposed to rough break down of stock to manageable size) I often just start cutting and can feel plumb pretty darn well without really looking - the problem is nothing in my house is quite level - at least, I kept cutting to the left a little bit, and then to the right a little bit when standing on the other side, so that's what I'm blaming. Taking the time to remember to look before I start, and I have no problems, it's just remembering to take that minute . . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice