Thread: chainsaw chaps

chainsaw chaps

what features are needed for chainsaw chaps?

what price range is avaliable?

new or used?

what else should be considered?

I got mine from Bailey's Online. There's different levels of protection (thicknesses) and you can buy 'em that just protect the front of your legs or with a wrap around that goes around the calves of your legs. That's the kind I bought, that wrap around the calf. They've got info too on sizing and fitting.

I bought mine after having used a chainsaw for 40 years with ever even coming close to cutting myself. Almost two years ago, I put a really nice, freshly sharpened blade right into my left knee. I was very, very lucky. It was only 8 stitches to close, but only millimeters from that big ole ligament that's below the kneecap. Bought chaps that next week and have NEVER used the saw again without having them on. Crazy thing too is that after I got my chaps, I have cut my chaps twice. If I hadn't had 'em on, it definitely would have been flesh. One cut caused the saw to stop immediately because of all the kevlar that got snagged up in the blade. I consider them a great investment.

Oh, forgot this. Definitely new. Well, maybe used if there are NO cuts whatsoever. When it snags a blade, zillions of threads will be pulled out from them...that's what snags the blade. You want ALL of them in place!

I bought mine from Labonville, which are now available also from Bailey's. Labonville makes the only UL class A chaps available. I have the "extreme" chaps, which are rated to stand up to "hotsaw" competitions-- a hotrod snowmobile engine made into a chainsaw. If they can do that, they can stop my chainsaw just fine. They are much heavier than other chaps which is a downside, but for the protection, they are unparalleled. I frequently use a very large Stihl 084---122cc saw, so I like the extra protection. However, watch the videos on Labonville's website, and you won't buy any of the economy models sold by some competitors.

I too purchased the Labonville Extreme chaps.
    I hope to never find out how well they work.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Bought Sthil new at a Ace Hardware. Getting older and more concern about that one slip. Good insurance
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I've managed to chew up a couple of pair of jeans and one shirt, but so far not me. I bought and now use the Stihl chaps.

+1 for the Labonville chaps.

+2 for Labonville chaps

Never had an accident, but I don't cut without em.