Thread: Delta B.O.S.S sander

Delta B.O.S.S sander

Does anyone have any good ways of tightening the sanding drum down firmly to keep it and the sandpaper from free spinning on the shaft? I can get the smaller ones decently tight, but the larger drums won't tighten up hardly at all, making them useless. Is turning it upside down and using the allen wrench in the end of the motor shaft the only way? I'm pretty happy with the sander overall, but having to get a screwdriver out to hold the fins on the spindle base is not working. Thanks.

Are you using a washer on the larger spindles?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I just grip the drum with one hand and tighten down with the other.

There has been a few times that slipping the drum from the shaft has been less than easy.

Don't know if the rubber has hardened up on your drums but I could see it happening, not sure of a fix for this other than replacement.

Big washer on the bottom and big washer on top with a smaller "rub" washer below the bolt head is my setup.

Glen took the words right out of my mouth...the washer is key to compressing the drum. if your drums are not tightening up with the washer...a second washer below the drum may be in order. drums could be short.
    Mick

Plus one on the washer. You should have a couple different sizes. If you don't, just get some fender washers appropriate to the size of drum.

My BOSS has the opposite problem. It will hardly hold the smallest drums because there is very little rubber on the spindle. I just picked up a floor model JET spindle sander off CL, and the small drums are actually cinched down with a set screw, right into the sandpaper drum.

Rick Potter

I use the appropriate washer with the corresponding drum. I haven't tried putting another washer on the bottom, but will.

Forgot:

You might also try putting an additional washer (any size) under the bolt, to make sure the threads are not bottoming out.

RP