Thread: more elevated HF,s

more elevated HF,s

Well not sure if you want to see these but here they are any way. First one is gum burl with walnut band and dyed holly finial and base. The other one is spalted holly, cherry collar,dyed holly finial and base.As always all C&C welcome.037 [800x600].JPG038 [800x600].JPG040 [800x600].JPG041 [800x600].JPG

Wow! Those look really nice. For me, the shapes look right on and the colors all look great! What's your finish?

Steve they are finished with 3 coats shellac, lacuqar, waxed and buffed. Thanks

4. Top shelf, Steve! I think on the first one ..........the top of the pedestal could have been just a little less in diameter, and the flow would have been perfect coming into the bottom of the form. Also on the same pedestal, the base looks just a little big in diameter, where the other form is spot on as to proportions ...........

These are truly fine pieces of work...........I would be very proud of either or both of these........your work here shines very brightly, and is on a high level of artistry. I am reluctant to even say anything that could be construed as criticism........these are both better than most of what I have done to date..............really nice, Steve!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-16-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: had referenced the wrong form at first
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger thanks alot.criticism is what helpes us all grow as turners, and i know i have a long way to go.

I think they both look great, that cherry ring looks really good (as much as i like walnut), the colors are off set enough to make it look a bit different but still blend well. If it was me, the only thing i would have done different (if i could ) would have made the tops of the pedestals alittle thinner, same diameter, but thinner so not to look like the body was sitting on something, rather making it look like it was part of something.
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

Nice work on both Steve. What did you use for dye on the holly? It looks good. The base of the pedestal on the burl piece appears a little heavy to me with the height of the ogee but it still flows well. Thanks for posting. I never get tired of looking at pretty wood and work!

Those are both great pieces Steve! I'm having a hard time deciding on a favorite, but I think I prefer the form on the right, but the finial and pedestal on the left, either way they both look great!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Well sure I want to see them! Love looking at beautiful turnings. Got my eye candy fix now I can go to bed! Beautiful pieces Steve.

very nice vessels. I love the spalted holly
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

The wider form is my favorite of the two. It is difficult to offer a criticism as they are both so nice. I tend to prefer simple shapes so would not have included so many details but that is just my preference.

Thamks all.Baxter i agree that the base on the gum burl is a bit fat. As it was the first of the two to be turned, it didn't appear big till i made the next one. By then i had all ready glued it on, so was to late to do much about it.