Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Sander

Air Sander

Ok we had a post of "Air Needed". So now I have a question. What air sanders do you use? My compressor is 33 gal and 2 hp. Didn't go with a larger one because of money and size. Just don't have room for the big monsters. I have read on some of these air sanders like the Grex that it takes 8 cfm. I was looking at a Ingersall Rand that says 3 cfm to run at full load and collet size is 1/4". I know without a bigger tank it will run more often. I was just wondering for those that use air sanders what do you use?
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I use a Grex with an 8 gallon compressor. I've adjusted the Grex so it uses minimal air flow and slows down the rotation.

On my next bowl, I'm going to try a domed ball on a Guinevere flex shaft sander... should be fun.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I do have a Sioux pneumatic angle drill. I used it a few times, and went back to the electric drills. It kept the compressor running non stop. I can't give specifics about air flow, but have a 60 gallon compressor, and figured it is way cheaper to run the angle drills. Not sure about the Grex.

robo hippy

For me this concept is tough.,,dont you have to continually hold down the "trigger" persay to sand this way. I think that would become an issue after awhile. Also would the rotation not cause excess scratching? I guess it comes down to what is being sanded. Ive looked into possibly using a dremel and then adding a flex shaft for smaller bowls...this would not be realistic on larger stuff .

I have the Grex and a 20 gallon compressor that runs all the time. I will need to try Alan's idea of reducing the airflow. I have been shopping around for a new larger compressor and I'm not sure what I will get. Size or available space and electrical requirements are my limiting factors. I may put it in the garage and poke a hole in the wall and run a line to the basement. I do like the Grex as it is very smooth running and fits my hand better than the electric drill I got at Harbor Frieght.

I recently picked up this little gem from HF and have been pleased with it so far. Easier to handle than a close quarter drill inside a bowl IMO and I like the way it fits my hands. Price was right.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...der-93629.html

I have a Grex and use it on almost every turning to finish off the very bottom of a project. I have discs from 80 grit to 600 grit for it. I personally never use it for general sanding jobs though, so the compressor running is not an issue for me. I highly recommned it.

Air power takes usually takes a lot of air. Then you deal with the exhaust of the air blowing sanding dust around more than a electric drill. Lastly if oil is involved to lubricate the tool it can be sprayed out the exhaust. The high speed makes sanding quick, but if you don't have much room I would think the dust being blown around would have the be measured against the quick results.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Bernie - I had been using a Grez air random 2" orbital sander coupled with a 30 gal 8 GPM air compressor for a couple of years. It does the job, but frankly I wasn't excited with the time it took, the compressor running way more than I liked and tne noise. I had been reading what some of the turners on this site were saying about Vince's sanding system. I called Vince and had a great lesson, that ended with me ordering a side angle drill, all the 3" mandrells, pads and grits of 3" discs that I will need for awhile. I've done 4 bowls with this new system, and I couldn't be happier. I'm using an assortment of grits 90, 100, 130, 150, 180, 220, 280, 320, 400 & 600. This seems like a lot, but believe me, it ends up saving me a LOT of time over what I had been using. I only use the Grex for 320 and finer and only for areas that I can't reach with the side angle drill.

I wish I had learned about this to begin with!!!!

Thanks for all the info. I did make a call to Grex this afternoon and they told me that my compressor should work with the Grex. They said with woodturning it is a little different that sanding for long periods of time like flatwork. I will mull it over this weekend and hopefully make a decision by Monday. Also talked with a friend of mine that has a compressor just slightly bigger than mine. He says he uses his electric angle drill for the heavy grits up to 220 and the Grex for 280, 320, 400, and 600. He also said he turned the air down so the speed was around 8,000 and with Vinces pink Cera-Max discs said the surface was outstanding. So lot of things to think about.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie,
    The number escapes me at the moment but ARO which is also a IR company makes a great sander that is in the 3 cfm area. It is a great shape for bowl sanding and it has a great reliability history. As far as air supply,if your compressor has a good continuos duty motor you can find a 5 or 10 gallon or larger approved pressure tank and daisey chain it between your compressor output and your lathe and increase the storage capacity of your setup.Just make sure the pressure capacities are the same or larger for the tank. I will find that ARO number and get back to you.
    Greg

Thanks Greg. Is the IR you are thinking about the 301? I had thought about adding a tank but the LOML of 44 yrs this month (gloat) told me tonight just buy the sander you want and if the compressor doesn't work we will discuss a bigger one. Wooohooo.
    Bernie

Wow Bernie.....does your wife have a single sister?????

Thanks Mike. No single sister.
    Bernie

Bernie,
    I'm not sure that the 301 is the unit I'm thinking of. I know we use the IR 3103XP in the shop and it is small and uses 2.1 cfm to run but 19.4 cfm @ load so your not running it on a small compressor. Our shop air is 395 cfm at 145 psi so never a shortage. I will check the item number with a buddy who has one and post it later today. I'm home today after getting knee surgery yesterday so I cannot access the old IR homepage ,They have recently changed alot of the model numbers. Talk to you later,
    Greg