Thread: Delta DJ-20 outfeed

Delta DJ-20 outfeed

Getting ready to put in a Byrd helical in the DJ-20. While removing the old head, I tried backing off the outfeed table to make things a little easier. After I loosened up the handle, the outfeed table won't move. Anyone else ever ran into this, and what did you do to fix this? I tried picking up on the outfeed table and dropping the jointer about 1-2", thinking that may break it free, but it did not work. Thanks for any suggestions.

I think there are a set of lock nuts on the back side that set the out feed table in place once set parallel to the cutters arc. They don't exist on the infeed side because that side is supposed to be adjustable on the fly. Just loosening the handle will not do it. I did the same when I put a byrd head in my DJ-20. If you can't find them pull the manual from Mikes tools online or Delta's site. It may be at the lower side of the table on the back side, and its two nuts on a bolt to act as a lock out.

Found that manual. Check Pg 15 Fig 22. Those two screws and nuts lock the out feed height in place. On the infeed side they set the upper and lower travel, but you shouldn't need to change that just yet for the head removal and replacement.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/downlo...l-EnA06586.pdf
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 11-17-2011 at 8:20 PM.

On the 20, there are (very fragile) stop blocks that limit the range of travel. Dropping the machine can shatter these. I have a copy of the exploded art if you are interested. I can email you a copy.
    Mick

I recently replaced the head in a Shop Fox jointer with a nearly identical parallelogram design. Peter is right. I had to unscrew the stop screws in Figure 22 most of the way out in order to create a big enough opening to remove/install the head. It's not a big deal though, since you'll need to re-set the outfeed to the new cutterhead height anyway.

Thanks for the manual Peter. I bought this jointer used a few months back and he did not have the manual. You are right, I was able to get the old head out without moving the outfeed, but I thought that it would have moved like the infeed.