Thread: Atlanta Drum or Wide Belt sander cutting board flattening

Atlanta Drum or Wide Belt sander cutting board flattening

Anyone in Atlanta have or know of a place that has a drum or wide belt sander? I am building, or have built 5 cutting boards as gifts and with the crazy day job these days time is running out quickly. I will gladly pay for the time on the machine. Also, if anyone has a super fast way to flatten them, that would be great too. I have a LV low angle block still in the box, an old belt sander, and the typical ROS. Thanks in advance!

No help on the big gear, Kurt. I have always used a belt sander with a careful touch and a deep breath...................If it just needs a slight touch-up, then I have also used the ROS, taking the time to start very coarse and work my way up the scale.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kurt,

I'm up the road from you in Kennesaw. I have a JET 22-44ODS still in the boxes in my garage. Help me move it to the basement, and set it up, and we can have a play with your cutting boards

PM me if interested. It will have to be next weekend, as I'm out of town all week.

Mark

Mark, I'd be more than willing to help and meet a Creeker in my area. Next weekend, however, is my sister's wedding (one of the gift recipients). Let me know if another time you need some muscle.

Kurt, are these Christmas presents, or do you need them earlier (i.e. sister's wedding?)

While finding a wide belt sander may be the quickest way, for now, to get your boards flat, Here are a couple other methods using a router. Once you make the jigs, they, or it, will always be there for you in the future.

Jig 1

J
    ig2
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ashmeade View Post
    Kurt, are these Christmas presents.........
    And if so, Christmas of which year?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I live about 50 miles east of Atlanta in Greensboro, GA and I have a 38" Woodmaster drum sander that could flatten those boards with ease. If you want to make a short road trip, you are welcome to use it - no charges. You can contact me at mjjohnson@hughes.net or 706-454-0581.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    And if so, Christmas of which year?
    Funny you should mention it Kent. These are all wedding presents along with a nice knife. My sister's wedding is next weekend. The other weddings were May '11, July '11, and June '10.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ashmeade View Post
    Kurt, are these Christmas presents, or do you need them earlier (i.e. sister's wedding?)
    Earlier than Xmas, but I'm still able to bring some muscle a bit north if you need help and I'm available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Johnson View Post
    I live about 50 miles east of Atlanta in Greensboro, GA and I have a 38" Woodmaster drum sander that could flatten those boards with ease. If you want to make a short road trip, you are welcome to use it - no charges. You can contact me at mjjohnson@hughes.net or 706-454-0581.Mike
    Thanks, Mike. I may give you a call later today! It's about 90mi from my office in Sandy Springs to Greensboro. Anyone have any other ideas, or closer to ATL?Thanks everyone!!

I would call up a millwork shop or a Cabinet shop in your area and see if they will help..

When I lived in Alpharetta, there was a cabinet shop in town. Kris Kroh (or Krough can't remember). Might wanna look 'em up.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.