Thread: "Nixie tube" retro clock

"Nixie tube" retro clock

This is a little odd, but I thought I'd post it anyways. "Nixie" tubes were vacuum tubes that contained filaments in the shape of each of the 10 numerals (0-9), and were used to produce digital displays prior to the advent of LED technology. I had an old (~1950's) piece of electronics test equipment that contained 7 of these tubes, but was otherwise no longer useful, so I salvaged the tubes and built this clock.

These tubes are typically mounted facing "up", but the particular ones I had face "down" (pins on the top), so I had to build a cantilevered box to hold them. The box is sweet gum wood, with amber shellac finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dan,

Nixie tubes were used quite heavily when I started working in electronics. In air traffic control, we used a "digital" voltmeter for aligning the glide slope and runway centerline extended cursors on precision approach radar used for landing aircraft in bad weather and those meters were accurate to within a 0.10 DVC.

We have come a long ways baby!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Too cool Dan. Being the young spout that I am, I had never seen those before (yeah, right ). What a novel timepiece that makes.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That's something you won't see everyday! Very cool.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, haven't seen many top-pin versions... probably have (or at least had) a boxload of them (the pin-down versions) somewhere in my junk pile.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Very cool Dan, excuse my ignorance but, what inuts the time and power to the tubes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Very cool Dan, excuse my ignorance but, what inuts the time and power to the tubes?
    There's a power cord coming out the back - I just did too good of job of hiding it in this picture, I guess There's also a pushbutton on the back that causes the numbers to rapidly change, so it can be set to the current time. I considered making it synchronize time with GPS or something, but that's a lot of hassle - instead, you set the time manually, and it uses the frequency of the AC line to maintain the time accurately.

Very clever and interesting!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I built a digital voltmeter (Heathkit-Bell & Howell) about 40 years ago that had nixie tubes. Leading edge at the time.

PS Spellchecker only recognizes nixie as a proper name.

Very cool. My senior project for my EE degree was to design an LED-based nixie replacement for a company that had some old CNC machinery that used them. It turned out to be more of a mechanical design project than an EE project--but I guess it was fairly good life practice since I've not done much EE works since graduating 15 years ago either!
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 05-16-2011 at 10:58 AM.

The cantilever is a neat idea! I'm feeling old because I remember when nixie tubes were state of the art.