Thread: Odd spindle size help

Odd spindle size help

I have an old pattern-makers lathe, and cannot seem to find any chucks and face plates for its spindle size. I may end up needing to get a custom tap made, but am trying to avoid that route.

If anyone ever comes across chucks or face plates with a 1 3/16" x 9 tpi thread, please let me know.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

You may want to try these folks, http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/precspinad.html they indicate on their site (in bold red) that they will make special adapters on request. I purchased one of their standard 1-1/4" 8tpi to 1" 8tpi adapters for my new Jet 1642 because all my chucks were for my smaller Grizzly lathe. I had tried a PSI adapter which had tremendous run-out but there was absolute none with this one. Of course it cost about 3 times as much as the PSI but you get what you pay for I guess though part of the increased cost was that I got it with the MT2 through hole option.

BTW how's that for long winded run-ons :-)

"The best things in life are not things."

Matt
    I think James has the right idea,also if you know someone with a metal lathe that turns threads have them make you an adapter.I never heard of a 1 3/16 or even a 9 tpi anything. The closes I've ever heard of is 1 1/8 X 10 tpi I believe it's for a Conover or Oliver lathe.

James, a good start. . .soon you might be able to give Dumas a run for his money. . .

Contacted the folks at that company for a quote. I will see how that turns out.

Harry, I have a friend with a metal lathe. . .Unfortunately his shop isn't set up for 3 phase so it might be a while. And, a few months ago I was pricing custom taps, but the prices are a bit prohibitive for me right now.

The Lathe I have is an FE Wells and Sons Lathe, made ( I think) around 1910-1920. I have only ever hard of two others out there, so its likely an odd duck in the parts market.

I appreciate the suggestions. . .
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

This site has more info on the lathes (was called Old Wood Working Machines) http:// vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=877&tab=4
    I did not see any specs but I am fairly sure some members there know them. There are postings from six different people in the link above. You will have to join the group like any other forum to make postings.
    My only unused faceplate is a 1-1/8 X 8 so it would not help.
    I’m no machinist so have a box of salt ready with the following
    I am not saying your data is wrong but my understanding is, if you put the "0" point of a ruler on the first thread on your lathe (9 tpi) and go up to an inch, there should be 10.
    If it is 8 tip you should count up to 9.
    As far as spindle diameter, are the threads still sharp? If they are flattened (worn) you could lose the 1/16 across the diameter (making it in reality 1-1/4).
    Rather than a tap, why not pull the spindle and have it re-threaded? I would think many shops will have the die, then you only need to do it once.
    Good luck with the new toy.
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 04-28-2011 at 4:59 PM. Reason: removed direct link to another forum - as per TOS
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I can feel your pain. I have an old lathe with what I thought was 1 3/16 8 tpi. I was going to have an adapter built so I can use modern chucks and plates and things. I even bought a MT2 tapered reamer so I could get the inside to the proper size to fit. I dropped the ball and haven't done anything with this lathe yet. (Getting a new Jet 1642 had something to do with that 8-)

Well anyway I will agree that in the old days this was a thread pattern. So if you find anything for a lathe like this one it may also fit. I have a couple of face plates and for this one, but I don't think I want to let them go.

Some pictures of my old iron.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...the&highlight=

I Just re read this thread, in it are some other great suggestions, I was asking about the same questions as you.
    Last edited by Ian Parish; 04-28-2011 at 6:05 PM.
    I create videos on my channel TurningRound on youtube.

I used to have a lathe with some odd size. I had a local machine shop make me a converter. You need to find an old time machine shop where every thing is not computerized. The cost was not too bad as I recall. It also had Brown and sharp tapers in the tail stock so he made me a center to.

thanks for this website, I keep wanting to order an extension for my PM 3520B with the w/mt2, Also I now have a need to have a mt2 on my rose engine machine and going to order a 3"x1" extensiong w/mt2

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    You may want to try these folks, http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/precspinad.html they indicate on their site (in bold red) that they will make special adapters on request. I purchased one of their standard 1-1/4" 8tpi to 1" 8tpi adapters for my new Jet 1642 because all my chucks were for my smaller Grizzly lathe. I had tried a PSI adapter which had tremendous run-out but there was absolute none with this one. Of course it cost about 3 times as much as the PSI but you get what you pay for I guess though part of the increased cost was that I got it with the MT2 through hole option.

BTW how's that for long winded run-ons :-)