I am very frugal when it comes to woodworking tools, purely functional when it comes to tool choices with no regard for brand names. That is why almost all of my tools are rehabbed old tools and some tuned up new tools. Hand saws are one thing I have not played around with much, other than learning how to hand sharpen them. I have one of those new Stanley back saws that comes with a very high end black plastic handle . The theory was the plate has got to be good enough and if I can put a nice wooden handle on it, it should serve my needs. Well I have had it for a few years now and it's been through a few sharpenings too. In general I have no issues. It's definitely "not" at the level of LV/LN or Wenzlof, but probably about 75% there. I had the opportunity to test a LV tenon saw courtesy of a local WWers and I could see that the saw was of top quality. Still the "jigged up" Stanley is good enough for me.

That brings me to my question. With my propensity to be frugal is it a better choice to hunt down old saws and look for something with a good plate or go buy a new one from the local borg. I probably will replace the handle in both cases (for some reason I prefer a thicker grip than stock even though I do not have big hands). Is there anything special in the older saw plates which it missing from the newer ones?