Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Andy Hoyt

I've never really had the pleasure of talking to Andy, but I sure do appreciate his many posts here. He seemed like quite a character, had a lot of insight and will be missed. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Moxie, mayo vs mustard, and ice cream. This is a shock and I think we all agree Andy was a lot fun and very helpful.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Sad news, our condolences and prayers to his family and friends.

Sad sad news...you could always count on Andy for smile. He definitely left his mark, and will surely be missed. I'm glad I got to meet the man....my thoughts and prayers are with his family.
    Godspeed Brother.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If there's Moxie in heaven he's having one right now. RIP Andy.

Andrew Erskine Hoyt | Visit Guest Book http://www.legacy.com/guestbook/main...27308&cid=full

BENTON FALLS -- Andrew Erskine Hoyt, 57, of Benton Falls died unexpectedly of heart failure at his home Saturday, Feb. 26, 2011, leaving his wife, Chrystine, and daughter, Gabrielle.
    He was born Dec. 15, 1953, in Mount Kisco, N.Y., and was the beloved son of Alison Erskine Farrar of Lyme, N.H., and Coleman Williams Hoyt of Bridgewater, Vt. He also leaves two brothers, Coleman Williams Hoyt Jr., of Concord, Mass., and Steven Tecumseh Hoyt of South Salem, N.Y., as well as four nieces and nephews.
    He was a graduate of John Jay High School in Katonah, N.Y., and attended Franklin Pierce College. He enlisted in the Navy from Alaska, and after winning the highest honor of his basic training battalion in San Diego was granted his wish for medical training. He served as a corpsman with the Marines in Korea and Okinawa and later became a plankowner and the rescue helicopter corpsman of the attack carrier USS Nassau LHA 4. In recent years, he took on the responsibility of organizing the reunions of all former Nassau shipmates and crews. His final Navy service brought him to northern Maine, where he became the medic at the Navy SEAR (Search, Escape, and Rescue) School, which trained Navy and Marine pilots during the cold war and where he met his wife, Chrystine, who also served in that Naval School.
    He was later employed by Timberpeg in Claremont, N.H., becoming their West Coast regional sales manager before moving back to Maine. He was a skilled woodworker specializing in building miniature scale models of churches and houses, and a talented designer of computer home pages for many clients.
    Private family burial services will be held in the spring.
    Condolences may be expressed at www.lawrybrothers.com.
    Arrangements are by Lawry Brothers Funeral Home and Cremation Services, 107 Main St., Fairfield; 453-6049 or 800-660-2111.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Andy will be missed. Rest in Peace my friend. Thanks for the many marks you left on SMC with the "bombing" run that was so much fun and yet again so much generosity for all those in the turning community. Prayers for the family and friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I think Andy said is best in his own words. Take a moment if you knew him or if you want to know more about a good friend and help to anyone.

http://downscaledesigns.com/about.html

his views on life and wood turning.

http://downscaledesigns.com/woodturning.html

He will be missed.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

I never had the pleasure of talking with Andy but have learned from reading his posts. He will surely be missed. Prayer sent for his family.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Prayers indeed go out to Andy's family and friends. It's interesting to note that while I had not the pleasure or occasion to contact Andy, I could tell from the few posts and responses in browsing around that he was 'one of the good ones'.
    Seeing the response from those who knew him reaffirms that a good one is truly lost from our group, but that he is on to be with other great ones.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I am very shocked and saddened to learn about this tragic news. My deepest condolences go out to his family. Fifty-seven years of age seems so young to me now.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Andy face to face, but we did correspond by email a bit. I also used to enjoy his wonderful wit and humor on Sawmill Creek and the AAW forum. He even sent me a couple T-shirts once for "helping" his turning club come up with a logo design. I am not quite sure what I did to help, but with his usual humor, one of the shirts had been used to clean up some paint in his shop. My wife thought that the paint shirt was so nice that she took it from me.

I was just thinking about Andy last night and had not noticed the posting about his passing. I remember the many threads where the subject of Moxie came up. I can't remember the details, but Andy once posted an image of himself wearing one of his bowls like a hat. As I recall, it was a real hit. I thought that his picture bore a remarkable resemblance to a famous painting of a nobleman by one of the old masters (whose name I can't remember) so I felt obligated to post that picture replete with bowl hat and moxie in hand alongside his picture.

Turned Hat.jpg nobleman_moxie.jpg

I truly miss you.
    Bill

Sad news for sure. The turning community and SMC have lost a true brother. I had the pleasure of meeting him in person a few years back at a turning event in NH. I can't imagine a nicer, friendlier guy anywhere. One of those guys that when you meet them you feel like you have known them all your life. Certainly a person one would want to be more like.

A Moxie toast to you Andy, and my condolences to his family,
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

There was something in my mind tonight that kept telling me to check in here, and what do I find? Andy has passed away. He was so funny and irreverent, yet a true gentleman. Several years ago, during the on-line auction, I got several private messages from him that were priceless--I wish I had saved them. I managed to win the piece he had put into the auction, and along with the turning, he also sent me a bottle of Moxie. It still sits in my display cabinet, next to the turning, and will remain there for as long as I am alive. I also had some dealings with Andy when I did some laser work for his miniature group, and I so enjoyed my interactions with him. I am stunned, I am sad. My sincerest condolences to his family, for they--and we all--have lost such a good man. Rest in peace, Andy. Wherever you are, we know there's a mayo nearby, along with plenty of Moxie and ice cream!!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

14. That's the third person I knew from Maine in the last three years that's left us. I first met Andy on sawmill creek, he's the one that straightened out the difficult log-in for me. After that I had him design and set up my web site. He will be missed.
    My condolences to his family.

It is very sad news hearing this.... I have been absent from SMC for for a long time... and this is a shock. I will never forget his interview that he sent me to fill out.... he just seamed like a real good man with a great sense of humor and very talented . This is sad news....very sad to say the least.... Rest in peace Andy - you will be severely missed my freind.....

B,