Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Urgent Call For Help

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

An Urgent Call For Help

The Freedom Pen Project has encountered another "hiccup". As most folks know we had been shipping completed pens to the Middle East through the US Army and lately through the US Navy. Both Services have determined they can no longer do that since there are no allocated funds to support the cost of doing so.

It appears our only viable alternative is to ship completed pens directly ourselves. This entails sending to the East Coast APO departure point located in Dover, Delaware. Mail to any APO addresse only requires the postage to get the packages from Hayes Virginia to Dover. An estimated cost is approximately $12.00 for every 200 pens. If we continue the project at the same pace in 2005 as in 2004 the estimated cost of shipping will be $2,000.00

Our funds are limited and we must find a way to obtain the necessary funds to pay these shipping costs. Our intent is the ship them through the Chaplains' Services for distribution, as we did when sending via the military. We will also continue to send pens to individual units when requests are received from Officers/NCO's In Charge of the unit(s)

Keith is working on a fund raising effort to generate high quality "Freedom Posters" which we can sell to individuals and businesses to display. The intent is to have a well renowned photographer to take photos suitable for such a poster. This idea is in it's infancy at the moment since the shipping problem has only been with us for 2 days. More information will be forthcoming as the idea matures.

I call on all Sawmill Creek members to make a sincere effort to solicit the necessary monies to cover this new expense. Your personal donations are also solicited. We cannot allow this hurdle to bring down the work and dedication that has been exhibited over the last 12 months. We must prevail!

Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 01-20-2005 at 3:02 PM.

Shouldn't this post be moved to the Freedom Pens Forum, as per the Sawmill Creek TOS?

This is in no way a comment on the content of the post, as I feel that the Freedom Pens Project is going great work.

Thanks,
    /Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Murdock
    Shouldn't this post be moved to the Freedom Pens Forum, as per the Sawmill Creek TOS?

This is in no way a comment on the content of the post, as I feel that the Freedom Pens Project is going great work.

Thanks,
    /Kevin
    Kevin,

The FPP is sponsored by Sawmill Creek and I have posted in both the FPP Forum an General WW Forum to get the maximum exposure at my discretion which I feel is appropriate.

p.s. this does not violate the TOS
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 01-20-2005 at 3:07 PM.

Thumbs up Thanks, Ken

Ken, I recently received a shipment of free pen kits. When I send back the completed pens, I'll just slip a $10 to help cover the shipping.

Thanks to you and the others who have made Freedom Pens Project such a success.
    Sam/Atlanta

Ken,
    Where can I send a cash donation?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Plunkett
    Ken,
    Where can I send a cash donation?
    Steve

Donations received

I received donations from the following folks yesterday.

Becky Shuk
    Lynn Sonier
    William Murphy
    Brian Buckley
    James Murphy

THANKS ! ! !

Sad.

We can spend $40M on two days, yet we can't spend $1 per soldier to send them a pen someone has made and wants to give it to them for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Terre Hooks
    Sad.

We can spend $40M on two days, yet we can't spend $1 per soldier to send them a pen someone has made and wants to give it to them for free.

Many have done alot more for this project than give money. There are also other things happening in the world and people have been very generous. It really isn't fair to judge.

Don't know how but......

Unless things have changed, DHL has a cargo flight into Baghdad every day. If anyone has contacts with them could some kind of publicly for DHL be coupled to the Freedom Pens Project and get them over there that way?

I know that a lot of Woodcraft stores have turning days for pens and other places as well. A trade off with DHL to advertise there support at events for them to toss a package on a plane once in a while may be a way.

Anyone with DHL on here or anyone with kin or friends that work for them?

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    Many have done alot more for this project than give money. There are also other things happening in the world and people have been very generous. It really isn't fair to judge.
    My apology. I read your post wrong before I replied.
    john

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk

I was referring to the past January 19th and 20th, 2005. I do not wish to turn this into a political discussion, but this Country has some priorities in the wrong places. I'm not bashing GWB, I'm bashing the fools in this Country that support the private organizations that contributed to the uncalled for mess that went on for 48 hours this past week.

When I said 'We', I meant the US Government and the private companies and individuals that make DC go 'round.

Please Folks !! !! Lets try to refrain from political comments. Constructive ways to eleviate the problem are encouraged, complaining about the government will not fix the problem

Idyllwild CA Southern Ca in the mountians 100 miles east of LA
    Ken, check my PM, thanks.

Jim from Idyllwild CA

Donations

Ken,
    Just did a paypal.... hope it helps