Thread: Should I Remove The Hollow?

Should I Remove The Hollow?

Morning All,
    I just received two Ashley Iles MKII chisels and set about to flattening the back sides and I encountered an issue. I know the backs on these are supposed to be ground slightly hollow, but as I started on the 1000 grit water stone and then jumped to 8000, the back was polishing at the cutting edge (yes!), but it also began to polish up one side and into the area that was supposed to be hollow.

Now, I was using very light pressure and I had flattened the stone with my DMT, so I know I was square. Should I go back to the 1000 grit and remove the rest of the hollow, or should I go down to my DMT (XC/C) and remove it that way because it would remove the metal more easily. This occurred on both chisels I ordered, and as far as technique goes, I am using what is shown by Chris Schwarz in an old wood working magazine article.

Thanks in advance for any advice

No, don't remove the rest of the hollow. Leave it like it is, appreciate that it's sharp without having to flatten the entire back.

If you turn around and remove the hollow, it'll actually be to your detriment.