Thread: Should I choose based on Dust Collector? Sawstop vs Grizzly Cabinet Saw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    First let me state that I've been a happy user of a 1023slx for over 6 years. Great saw and does everything I ever wanted. With that being said, they're is no comparrison to a sawstop at all (again remember I've had my Griz for a long time and have their 12" jointer, 17" bandsaw, and HZ boring machine). The technology of the sawstop is worth it's price enough said. I have a 2hp 220v DC that supports my shop and the DC on the griz will be fine. The DC on the SS will be better and the new model with built in guard and hood DC is awsome. Fit & finish on the SS is a bit better but to be honest, I care more on how something cuts. I use the microjig splitter in mine with an overarm guard so again its served me well. I am currently saving for a SS cabinet saw. I've been doing WW for 30 years and while I'm safe and never had a bad incident, the brake on that sucker if activated once will be worth what you pay 10 times over.

Hey Keith,

Im currently using the microjig as well. I like it, except when ripping hardwood the kerf on the wood tends to close up a little bit on the microjig enough where i cant finish the rip because its stuck.

This is another reason why im looking forward to a true riving knife like the one on the grizzly

I would not by the saw stop up just for dust collection. If you want to buy the safety feature, go ahead. Almost everyone of my machines I have had to work on the dust collection aspect they never seem to be nearly as good as they could be when it comes to dust collection.

I think with any tablesaw you will need and over the blade type dust pickup. I have a 1023 but I used to have a shark guard on the net did a pretty good job of collecting the dust.

I recently added a power feeder to it as at least 95% of everything I do on the tablesaw is ripping, with the power feeder I can't even see the blade let alone get my fingers close to it.
    Thank You
    Ed

A true riving knife would be nice. I look at the sawstop everytime i'm in woodcraft. They really designed this thing well. The insert pops right out and the nice lever quickly releases the riving knife. Integrated dc in the riving knife and safety. It's got it all.

Well, as it turns out, Adrian lives about 10 minutes or so from me! He PM'd and emailed me and we got together here at the shop. Not sure I can say which way he will go, but he got to see a Grizzly first hand, which is hard to do for most of us.
    And no, I have no proof. LOML was taking a nap, and with the Chemo she's been going through, just wasn't up for company. Next time we'll get a picture, I promise. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    The technology of the sawstop is worth it's price enough said..
    I don't think it's enough said at all. I also don't think that the Chinese made Sawstop is worth anything like what is charged for it. I recently played with one in person, it's a decent shiny Chinese made table saw. It doesn't rip or crosscut a board any better than a Grizzly, and if safety is such a huge concern maybe a persepective SS owner should consider sticking to scroll saw work rather than the "danger" of furniture making ;-)

I will add my .02 A blade shroud makes a big difference in dust collection from my experience. I went from a steel city cabinet saw with the sloped floor like the G0690, to a sawstop PCS with out dust collecting guard. With a small dust collector, (at the time I was using a 1hp delta) almost all the dust from under the blade was collected very little accumulated in the cabinet. Compared to the steel city that needed to be vacuumed out every so often because it would start to built up in the corners and eventually filled up an dust collection wasn't as effective. I have never needed to vacuum out my PCS cabinet it never has more than a small amount of dust in it. The top of the table on the SS did stay cleaner due to suction closer to the table as well. The new blade guard arrived in the mail about 1 year later. Using the blade guard for most cuts that the blade is totally inclosed results in very very little dust comming from the saw. If you are doing trim cuts, where the blade is exposed some dust is spewed out from under the guard. I also was giving the opportunity to test a "shark guard" against the sawstop blade guard (below is a link to my review and comparison of each).

From my experiences if the brake on the SS, and premium fit and finish means nothing to you, stick with a grizzly saw, there are very well regarded and add on a "shark guard" this will get you much better dust collection that you are experiencing with a conrtactor saw. But for $1500 extra you can buy a premium saw with better dust collection (IMHO) than you will achieve with add ons to a grizzly, and a 2nd to none saftey option. It is a one time purchase with either saw you shouldn't need to replace them in your lifetime, with proper care and maintenance. Until that next NEW gotta have feature is designed, patented, and marketed.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...uard&highlight=
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 01-16-2011 at 12:03 PM.