Thread: Equilibrate wood in my shop

Equilibrate wood in my shop

I 'm going to moving some walnut into my shop today and I'd like to know how long it should wait for it to equilibrate. Also, after the wood equilibrates and I roughcut the parts, how long should wait before I cut to the final dimensions? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Green wood, I assume? Expect 1 yr/inch of thickness to reach equilibrium, assuming you coat the ends with AnchorSeal to prevent cracking.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The walnut was air dried 12-15 years ago and for the last 5 years as been in my garage.

Blog Entries
    Oh. I'd give it a few weeks, then.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Oh. I'd give it a few weeks, then.
    Me, too.

But I'd probably give it another couple weeks -- once you resaw or cut it -- before going for final dimensions.

Thanks, Dan.

Blog Entries
    Is the shop heated? Is the floor of the garage paved? Was the wood on the floor of the garage? If so was there a vapor barrier under it?

Lots of variables on wood acclimation. I would wait at least 2-3 weeks perhaps longer if the shop isn't heated 24/7. It will take time for moisture changes to occur in the center of your wood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hi Lee,
    I have 2 two-car garages - one is my shop, the other for cars and my shop has a insulated wooden floor and is always heated. I only have to move the wood from the unheated garage to my shop so the temperate is the only variable.

The only real way to know when the wood is in equilibrium with your shop, or how far away it is, is to measure the moisture content and compare that with a chart of EMC vs. humidity (or measure the MC of some wood that has been in your shop several months). If you don't have a moisture meter (get one) just cut off a piece from one of the boards, weigh it (precisely) and heat it at around 250F until it no longer loses mass. MC = (initial mass - final mass)/ initial mass x 100.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    The only real way to know when the wood is in equilibrium with your shop, or how far away it is, is to measure the moisture content and compare that with a chart of EMC vs. humidity (or measure the MC of some wood that has been in your shop several months). If you don't have a moisture meter (get one) just cut off a piece from one of the boards, weigh it (precisely) and heat it at around 250F until it no longer loses mass. MC = (initial mass - final mass)/ initial mass x 100.
    +1. Craig, if you can tell me what the average temp and relative humidity has been recently for your unheated garage, I can check my kiln charts and give you a pretty close estimate of where the wood is at. Unless you've had fairly high humidity recently, I would estimate that you're around 10% or so.

Scott

If the wood is actually at equalibrium, there's no reason to wait to go from roughcut to final, unless you are doing something like ripping a wide board. If you rip a wide board down and release the tension, wait 24 hours for it to stabilize before jointing if you want it to stay really straight.

Hi Scott,
    I bit the bullet and bought a pinless moisture meter this afternoon. I just measured the boards at approximately 10% so you're right on at your estimate. I know I should wait until reading become constant but any idea how long that will be?
    Craig