Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best tools purchase of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Clint- Did you look into a Castle Machine prior to buying the Kreg unit?

No. My neighbour won it in an auction for $100. I bought it off him for double that, then bought some missing parts to get it working.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Olver View Post
    No. My neighbour won it in an auction for $100. I bought it off him for double that, then bought some missing parts to get it working.

C
    wow. Definitely worth $200. Especially when a new Castle Machine is ~$2500, and used they're about $1500 for a decent one.

great year for tools

The big changes were finally finding a good used multi-router and changing to Byrd helical heads in my jointer and planer.

My Shop Fox bandsaw

I had several...my first jointer (how did I get along without this thing), a 12v li-ion drill/driver (small, powerful and light weight...perfect!) and a Dewalt DW 734 planer (on sale cheap, awesome planer)

For me its a no brainer... The Byrd helical head for my 8" jointer.

Im now doing things on it i would never have dared attempted before. Its now the central machine in my little shed. I dont know how i ever survived without it.

WOW! Some great purchases this year. Who said we're in a deep recession?
    New to my current line-up of toys are:
    Jet combo sander, closed base.; PM2800 drill press; Veritas low angle jack plane, set of 3 spokeshaves with carry bag; Dave Shave lg.flat spokeshave. Various other items.
    Everybody have loads of fun & play SAFE.
    John
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC

Absolutely have to say my Vega 50" TS Fence. I put it on my classic 10" Craftsman saw and turned a "well it runs" saw into a fairly decent machine for around $350. That left me with a whole bunch of cash that I could spend on other tools and supplies since I didn't have to lay out 8 to 10 times that amount for a new saw.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

a snow blade for my riding mower

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    Cool I have my eye one a g0440. Post some pics and opinions when you get it up and running!
    Scott,

Well, as promised I got my new G0440 up (to say the least). I still have to run all the ductwork to all the machines and have 95% of all the ductwork. I ordered metal ductwork from both Oneida and KenCraft. By splitting it up, I saved about $500 altogether!!! Anyhow, let me start off by saying that installing the motor just about put me into an early grave! That d%$^ thing weighs well over 125 lbs!!! Unfortunately for me and as you can see, I have a completely "finished" garage with no exposed ceiling rafters. This caused me somewhat of an issue in that installing a hoist was not that feasible. Sure, I could have come up with something creative, but I thought to myself "I'll just get the help of a friend and we'll lift it up onto the carriage bolts". YEAH RIGHT!!! Well, we were able to accomplish that, but took us about an hour and about 6 different attempts. What we found out is that there is VERY little wiggle room (if any) for the amount the bolts can stick out to get the motor to latch onto them correctly. We constantly had to bring the motor down because the washers kept getting in front of the motor rather than behind it where they were supposed to be. We tried taping them, but that was little help. Finally, I think we just got lucky on about the 6th attempt. Secondly, as you can see, I mounted my filter to the left side rather than the right side of the motor. By doing this, you will have to create a stand-off distance no less than 2.25 inches from the wall when attaching the wood mounts. Mine has a stand off of exactly 3 inches, so I was good there. I did hook up a few pieces of my ducting and let me tell ya - this thing SUCKS really well!! I put my hand in front of the opening and the thing started pulling my arm into the ductwork - kinda freaked me out as to the power of this cyclone I aPICT0030.jpgm hoping to install all my ducting over the next few weeks, but with the Christmas holidays fast approaching and vacation travelling starting tomoPICT0029.jpgrrow, hopefully I'll have everything hooked up by the 1st of the year. I still have a few things to order from Oneida and KenCraft to complete myPICT0031.jpg kit, but that shouldn't take me long. Once completed, I'll be sure to provide a review of the G0440 in operation. Once again - I can't wait!!!!PICT0032.jpg

Trend airshield pro! Love it!

Pinewood Forge Right and Left hook knives and sloyd knife

Not necessarily in any "best" order but...

- PM 66 5HP 1-Phase Table Saw built in 2003 for $650 after deducting proceedings for PM64 contractor saw I had for the last few years
    - Laguna LT16 $1200 plus a nice rear-end damage to my brand new Ridgeline
    - Jet 1000RC Dust Collector w/remote and canister $250
    - PM 719T no gloat here...

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm... This year... tool purchases.. it's been busy:
    - Griz 1023 table saw - $450
    - Delta 6" jointer - $150
    - walker turner floor drill press - $150
    - dewalt 734 planer - free from friend
    - Griz G0555 bandsaw - $250
    - craftsman scroll saw - free from friend
    - bosch 1617 router - $200

And, if I get a free moment before the clock strikes 2011, the harbor freight 2 hp dust collector will join the stable too.

Hopefully 2011 will be spent woodworking instead of shop building!
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by greg a bender View Post
    Well, this is going to sound ‘ugly’, but here goes:

New Shop – insulated & wired
    New Delta Unisaw
    New Grizzly 17” BS
    New ShopFox 2hp Shaper
    New Jet 1642 2hp Lathe, Nova Jaw & EWT Rougher & Finisher
    New Makita 10” SCMS
    New Jet JJP-12 Jointer/Planer
    New HF Dust Collector
    New Older CMan RAS (40 years old, still in box)
    New Older CMan 20 Gal. compressor
    Makita circ. Saw, portable planer, angle drills,sanders etc.
    300 BdFt of old walnut.

Yeah, it was a good year

GB
    I hate you...LOL
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty