Thread: Letter to Freedom Pen Turners from Iraq

Letter to Freedom Pen Turners from Iraq

Thank you so much for the beautiful pens you sent us. The Soldiers in my Battalion have really enjoyed using the pens and appreciate the craftsmanship that went into making them. We get a lot of stuff in care packages. Much of it is stuff that is very generic. While I am grateful for all that we get, your pens are unique. Obviously someone used his or her time, creativity, money, energy and the desire to reach out to Soldiers to make a special gift. Each time I use it I will think to pray for you and those who love the greatest country in the history of the world! God bless you and your organization.
    Thanks again,
    CH (CPT) Name Omitted for security reasons
    HHC 13th CSSB, JBB
    APO, AE 09391

Kieth, All I can say to this is, we as a group, need to make and send more pens to these heros. I for one will spend a little more in the shop to make a few more and hope others will do the same. Thanks for sharing this letter with us, Don

Additional Feedback

I thought I would share some feedback we (Redstone Arsenal Woodchippers) have received on Freedom Pens. I've removed names because I have not asked for permission to use them.

Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2010 10:18 PM
    To: art
    Subject: Freedom Pen

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just wanted to thank the NDIA as well as the entire MWR staff for this great project which provided myself and all of the other participants in Fort Sam Houston Mini Triathlon (geared for severely injured service members) beautiful hand lathed pens. Myself Personally, I would like to thank Mr. Jim *******, as I received his individual pen.

Its fitting I am able to say this on the eve of Memorial Day. I hope you are able celebrate the lives of our fallen heroes with your friends and loved ones tomorrow.

All the best,

Ryan ******
    CPT, IN
    WIA, OIF 2007

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
    Caveats: NONE

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:04 AM
    To: art
    Subject: Thank you so much.

Hello My name is Harry ******. My son, Sean received the Freedom Pen upon arrival at Brooke Army Medical Center and subsequently the Fisher house #3 after a catastrophic injury to his right hand. Sean gave the
    pen to me as a father's day gift. Kind veterans- it is an impeccable pen turned by Philip ******* and I shall cherish it forever! God Bless and thank you to the Freedom Pen Project!

With kindest regards... Harry P. ****** Jr.

Last edited by steve seamen; 10-08-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Typos
    Holmes (Steve) Seamen

Donald,

I'm still turning pens for the Troops. I keep plenty of pen blanks ready to turn so I can make a pen or two when I can find a few minutes.