Thread: Bandsaw repair help needed

Bandsaw repair help needed

Hi-
    I was changing the blade on my old Rockwell cast iron 14" bandsaw (model 28-200) and thought I'd try to get rid of a vibration I've felt for a long time. With the blade off I turned on the motor and realized that the lower wheel was very obviously moving back and forth when viewed facing it. I presume that the problem is a bad bearing as the wheel has some (not much) play in it when gripped across a diameter and wiggled. I suppose the problem could also be a warped wheel or a bent shaft, but those seem much less likely. It is held on by a 1" nut which is quite tight. I've been unable to hold the wheel still in order to loosen the nut. I'd appreciate any help I can get in repairing this saw. Thanks.
    -Howard

Sounds like a job for an impact wrench. Trying to hold the aluminum wheel might damage it.

Caveat: I've never actually tried to remove one of those wheels and don't know how you're supposed to do it.

Left hand thread?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Left hand thread?

Bill
    Lower wheels on bandsaws are indeed reverse threads, which may be the root of his inability to get it off.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Lower wheels on bandsaws are indeed reverse threads, which may be the root of his inability to get it off.
    Actually, both of the nuts on the lower axle of a Delta 14" are right hand thread. They are, however, extra fine thread and easily damaged. If you decide to use an impact gun tread lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Actually, both of the nuts on the lower axle of a Delta 14" are right hand thread. They are, however, extra fine thread and easily damaged. If you decide to use an impact gun tread lightly.
    Huh, I stand corrected. The Delta variants obviously have both depending on his model he will need to verify for his model before he goes banding around on it.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 11-14-2016 at 5:20 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.