Thread: Tenoning Jig - Delta v. Grizzly

Tenoning Jig - Delta v. Grizzly

As I work closer to my decision to buy a tenoning jig instead of make one I have come across an opportunity to get a Delta jig brand new for $100. I've read tons of reviews about all the brands. The Grizzly is attractive for the price, the Delta is attractive at $100 for the brand name and the price. What I worry about with the Delta is that I'm buying it second hand so if I have an issue with the base rocking on the table saw (the main complaint that I've read besides crappy allen hardware), I won't be able to return the tool. The grizzly gives me that option because I'm buying it new from manufacturer. Is it worth the risk to buy the Delta, or should I go with the Grizzly? If I get the Delta home (where I'm buying it I'm not sure if I'll get to test the device or not) and the base rocks, will Delta still help me out or am I SOL? Am I being naive to go for the delta because of the name?

The Delta is made offshores just like the Grizzly.

I have the Delta and it's fine... Came slathered in grease and paper and it sort of reminded me of a harbor freight tool.

I have no complaints using it as it does provide safety, its heavy, and it even worked on my jobsite Bosch tablesaw.

If you're concerned about warranty, then get the grizzly. The only reason I got the delta is because it was on clearance at Lowes for $50. I don't think Lowes carries the tenoning jigs anymore so they closed them out.

I bought the Grizzly. $70. The Delta at that time was $140. Seemed like a no brainer... The Grizzly has been great, Recommended.

My favorite cologne is BLO

Everything I have read says pick your favorite color or pick a price.. I have the woodcraft onebased on price at the time.

The only reason I got the delta is because it was on clearance at Lowes for $50. I don't think Lowes carries the tenoning jigs anymore so they closed them out.
    +1

I was looking and was mulling the Griz versus the Delta. Functionality seemed the same, so it came down to price. At $70 for the Griz and $110 for the Delta, I would have gotten the Grizzly...then I found a closeout special for 60-something for the Delta at Lowes, so I went with that.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Fine woodworking had an article about them some 5 years ago or so, and the conclusion was that there are two designs, both Delta, one 20 years or more old, and a newer one, a couple years old at the time of the writeup.

The old delta was copied by most everybody in the world, and all offerings were equally matched, only handle placement and knob design were different, so price seemed to be the only deciding factor. The new Delta really didn't have any new features to justify the price but FWW liked it??

I bought on pirce only (woodcraft) and have been very satisfied.
    Mike Harrison

Blog Entries
    As others have, I bought on price. Mine is Rockler blue but came with Powermatic instructions in the box. Pick your color, pick your price.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-15-2010 at 11:32 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    As others have, I bought on price. Mine is Rockler blue but came with Powermatic instructions in the box. Pick your color, pick your price.

Funny I got the same thing, blue jig with "mustard" instructions! I got mine with one of the 20% off deals and free shipping, basically the same price as the Griz shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    I bought the Grizzly. $70. The Delta at that time was $140. Seemed like a no brainer... The Grizzly has been great, Recommended.

I bought the Grizzly for the same reason. It works fine. All the tenoning jigs seem to be very much alike. The biggest difference seems to be the types of knobs and handles used and the color.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I believe my Delta is heavier than the Griz. I also like the placement of the handles/knobs.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

WHich Tenon Jig?

I'll add to the recent mix... I bought a Woodtech.

Purchased a few years ago (paid around $50, I think), and used it only a half dozen times. From those I've seen (cast/steel type) tenonning jigs are all similar. The inexpensive Woodtech is heavy, easily accessible knobs, and performs as expected, or better. The differences between those I've seen have been too small to affect my purchasing beyond the all-important cost.

Blog Entries
    I bought a Delta when I started about 15 years ago. I haven't used it enough to justify half the price I paid. If I were doing it again, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Griz, Woodtech, or make one if I had the time.

Delta can be had for $110 now. works great, after a couple of hours of fiddling. FYI, use a dial indicator to square it up with your blade. mine was out 90 thousands to start. Within 1-2 thousands now.

FWIW- I've had the Delta for about 35 years and have no complaints.