Thread: Mesquite pepper mill

Mesquite pepper mill

A while back Ernie Nyvall sent me some mesquite as a kind gesture after I gave him some guidance on making turkey calls. I had the urge to turn a pepper mill from it from the moment I saw it, as my first one (several months ago) hadn't turned out the way I wanted...Actually quite the opposite.

As is often the case with mesquite, this piece had a very deep crack with the grain running along its length. I ran the crack with thin CA and then medium CA to make it safer to turn. I was going to fill the crack with coffee grounds to make it not show up that much but I figured it would be a good way to try a turquoise inlay for the first time. In hindsight I should've smashed the turquoise up a little bit more but I'm generally pretty happy with how it came out. Filled a couple little bug holes with turquoise as well. Overall it is about 12-1/2" tall. Finish is five coats of spray laquer that will get buffed in a week or so.

Pretty glad I didn't saw this piece up to make duck calls, which was my initial plan. The other half of the piece will be a matching salt shaker, and it has similar cracking so it'll get the turquoise treatment as well.

I rarely if ever turn anything but duck calls, turkey calls and bottle stoppers so this is a nice change for me. But I can tell that I seriously need to practice turning beads. Those gave me fits!

Comments and critiques welcomed and appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aaron that is a nice looking peppermill. I liked what you did with it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's cool. I like how the turquoise line mimics the form. Mesquite is pretty stuff, and you've done a nice job with it.

nice looking mill, and the beads look good too
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Sorry about the cracks Aaron. All my mesquite has that wind-shake in it, but you sure did a fine job on it. Nice finish too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall View Post
    Sorry about the cracks Aaron. All my mesquite has that wind-shake in it, but you sure did a fine job on it. Nice finish too.
    The wind shake cracks make it fun in my opinion Ernie, and as strange as it sounds I was actually thrilled to see that it had some cracks. I love filling holes, knots and cracks with various materials...The sort of thing that lends a little intrigue to an otherwise average piece. I'm now dying to make myself a duck call with some cracked-up mesquite just so I can fill it with turquoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Wingert View Post
    But I can tell that I seriously need to practice turning beads. Those gave me fits!
    Aaron, one couldn't tell from this piece!! Well done, and the turquoise is a really nice touch. The mesquite has a really nice color.

Very nice Aaron. I was sent a block of mesquite in the spring that had developed quite a few cracks. Your post has given me an idea of how I might leave it large but deal with the cracks. Will have to do some research on doing that with the turqouise when I get the shape figured out. Thanks for posting.

Nice job on the Mesquite, Aaron! I love the way turquoise looks with Mesquite! Sometimes it just looks better this way, the way you crushed it, rather than turning the turquoise into a powder... this way, when you hold it, you can see the variations in the color in the turquoise. Well done!
    Last edited by Allen Neighbors; 09-07-2010 at 1:54 PM.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.