Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen Finish

Pen Finish

Made my first pen last night and not happy with the finish, what do you do to get a deep finish? Is shellawax a finish or do I have to put something on top of it? Also can you really make a pen in 15 minutes it took me about an hour form start to finish?

You have no idea the can of worms you just opened. Asking how to finish a pen is like asking the best way to sharpen. I use a CA and BLO finish. Try checking out penturners.org they have countless threads on finishing pens. Time wise it usually takes me at least 30 minutes if you count drilling the blank, gluing the tube, turning the pen and finishing it. Turning it is the quickest part, finishing it is the longest.
    Last edited by Wayne Hendrix; 09-04-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Mike,

FInishing in the pen making world is like discussing politics. You will get many answers from many people.

The trick is to keep trying until you find one that works for you.

I have had good luck with friction applied brushinglacquer.

More recently I have had good luck with CA and BLO as Wayne suggested.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Is the shellawax a finish are just another step in the sanding? It does not say on the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rushing View Post
    Is the shellawax a finish are just another step in the sanding? It does not say on the bottle.
    Cant help you there I have never used it.

Shellwax, IMHO, works well over CA. I used to like Mylands, but it wears down after a time. I've gone to CA, usually 4 coats, a knock down with 12000 mm after the 3rd coat. Never had it wear off. For a dull sheen, 0000 steelwool works good. Good luck!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Shellwax is a finish. The problem is it will not hold up on a pen. Like many people I started with shellwax but soon learned how it did not hold up. I now use a ca-blo finish or just straight ca.

I use straight CA to finish a pen and after the fourth coat will hit it with the beall buffing system rather lightly. Lately I have been using brushing lacquer and frictioning it on like Ken F. said.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like the CA finish method. Switched over from CA/BLO to straight CA now. I like 1 coat of thin to start with, then 2 coats of med CA, then 1 final coat of thin CA. Then I have been finishing it off with a small amount of plastic polish to buff it out with.
    Billy

Blog Entries
    I use the CA method mostly. I did melt some Lexxan with Acetone and did a 'plastic' finish for a while, but ran out. CA is just so much quicker and easier.
    Have a Nice Day!

I did the shellawax thing to for a couple but didn't like the end results. CA is a great finish but has a definite learning curve to it, and I still struggle with it and most of the time will use spray can lacquer. Very fast drying, just spray on several light to medium coats while its on the lathe.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

I just posted this 2 threads ago... LOL

I like the HUT PPP (go ahead, get your flamethrowers) then a coat of tung oil. THe PPP, as many say, is not very durable, but it is fast. The tung oil makes the grain pop and adds durability. Have not tried CA.
    An hour is pretty good IMO. IF you count drilling gluing turning and finishing. For pens, speed is your friend. Spin as fast as you can.

Kyle, I'm right with you. I posted a pic of a 3 year old HUT Crystal Coat finish last week. I love the way it feels, and it's starting to look great.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

it seems most everyone like the CA finish.....can someone explain how to do it ?????
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    it seems most everyone like the CA finish.....can someone explain how to do it ?????
    There are a number of methods for the CA finish. Check out youtube and the IAP library for several tutorials.