Thread: Craftsman 12 in. bandsaw - Advice needed

Craftsman 12 in. bandsaw - Advice needed

Been looking for a bandsaw for a while now. I'm primarily a hand tool user, but a small bandsaw would definitely come in handy. I ran across one on craigslist recently, an craftsman 12 inch model with a tilting head. Don't know much about them, but it's from the same Emerson-made era as my craftsman tablesaw, which, after a tune-up, suits my hobbiest purposes nicely. Anyway, model number is 113.247210. 12 inch model, 1 hp, tilting head, comes with a mobile base.

Anything stand out as being wrong with these? Anything I should specifically look for if I go look at it? He wants $110 for it. Is this a horrible model I should run away from as quickly as possible? Am I deranged for even looking at something that's not new and 14+"?

Thanks in advance,

Will

Edit: Am I going to have a terrible time finding new tires, blades, etc.for this, or can you pretty much get those things custom ordered from major supply houses? Any recommendations?
    Last edited by Will Boulware; 08-31-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Ok, I talked myself out of it. I need something capable of resawing, and this just isn't it. Good deal or not, I'll let someone else decide. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Thanks,

Will

An older Delta 14" machine would suit you well. Can be made to do some resawing with a riser block, though that isn't how I would use it. Good for small to mid width blades. Most come with a 3/4 to 1 horse motor but you can upgrade them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Aquino View Post
    An older Delta 14" machine would suit you well. Can be made to do some resawing with a riser block, though that isn't how I would use it. Good for small to mid width blades. Most come with a 3/4 to 1 horse motor but you can upgrade them too.
    Strange that you mention an older delta. I really like them. Now I just have to find one!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    Ok, I talked myself out of it.
    Good call. I had that saw. Under powered and the table was not iron and not flat. I sold it for $105 with a mobile base, Cool Blocks and 4 Timberwolf blades.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler