Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reducing an electric bill

I heard about a temple once that ran into trouble with vendors in the lobby...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I heard about a temple once that ran into trouble with vendors in the lobby...
    Nobody has turned over any tables. The money goes to "the temple" and not "the vendors".

I figured as much. I actually think its a great idea because it keeps people there to get to know one another and build a bond to the community. But it always cracks me up to think about sales in a church.

Perhaps if the church I grew up in worried more about that than about who follows rules set for the sake of tradition that its leaders don't follow is still be a member.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 08-12-2010 at 9:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I figured as much. I actually think its a great idea because it keeps people there to get to know one another and build a bond to the community. But it always cracks me up to think about sales in a church.
    Yeah, it can be surprising to people who aren't used to it. And it's actually not in the lobby. It's in a separate area. My church also has a book store which is of a pretty good size. It's a large church. (I'm sure it has a large electric bill.)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Buddle View Post
    Some electric companies do use a Demand Rate for commercial customers. This is a charge totally seperate from Kwh usage. It is based on the highest Kw usage for any 15 minute period in the billing period.

This is why companies like Honeywell, Siemens, and others have divisions that set up computer controls to sync HVAC, and lighting loads in commercial buildings. By controlling when these loads come on, and the sequence, they can insure that all HVAC units are not running at once, or all lighting loads do not come on at the same time, and create higher than necessary electricity billis.

Russ is absolutely correct. Most homeowner rates do not include a demand charge, but commercial rates do, and most likely that is what the utility rep was referring to.

electric

Lee
    see if your lighting system is on the same leg coming in or if it is
    split equally between the two. Assuming its 220 volt panel
    if you have more draw on one leg over the other it will make a
    higher demand on the one leg and your meter will run faster.
    hence a higher electric bill
    Ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

yeah but how much could that really effect the bill on one small building?

electric

if all your draw is on one leg it would be quite a bit.
    remember its not just lights its plugs and other appliances
    that are 110 volt and not divided equally in the panel
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

Power savings

One serious suggestion, that would save immediate money, and pay for itself over time, would be a lighting control system. Dimming lights, controlling loads, using natural light controls, and possible automation could save you money, increase efficiency, and improve the atmosphere of all people who use the space/s.

This is just one of the facets of what I do. If you have any questions, let me know. I'd be happy to help with any other ideas. Good luck.