Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music in the shop

Classical (in the broad sense of the term), BBC and NPR.

Or baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    How many listen to music in the shop. I bet more neanderthals do than do power tool shops. I do both, so I can listen to my boom box.

If you do listen to music, what do you listen to?

I listen to everything from classic to country western. Today, I listened to an Arhoolie album. I'm curious if any of you know what this album is.

It is a 5 cd set my daughter gave me a few years back. There is Zydeco, jazz, folk, religious, folk and more. Chris Strachwitz toured dance halls, beer joints, anywhere he could find music and recorded it. The time span was from 1960 until 2000.

Visualize a period furniture maker in his shop listening to this genre.

I bet there is a woodworker out there that listens just to Rolling Stones.
    I listen to zydeco a lot. Here is a search for his music http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AAAKoEBU_Q-Wzw

Jusr AM/FM/CD player for now. Listen to country mostly. I am an old head banger from the 80's but there are not good radio stations in my area for that type of music. Next TV upgrade in the house will allow me to put cable in the shop/garage. From there it"s NASCAR. If I actually put a cable box out there I can then get to the better music channels on the cable system.

I mostly listen to either metal or NPR. I think it confuses my neighbors to hear strains of thrash and goth metal followed by Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. There is an okay hard rock radio station in the area, so I sometimes listen to that as well.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by bob blakeborough View Post
    What? No other 40 year old Punk Rock woodworkers out there? I can't be the only one... Or can i???
    I can't listen to that and cut a straight line.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I do listen to music in the shop, it soothes the soul. I listen to anything from percy sledge to acdc but absolutely positively no rap.. dont care for it and prob never will...
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Music...

During the week I listen to Limbaugh. Most of the time I like it quiet, but we do listen to a range of music from oldies-crooners-country...

Phyllis

I guess I am the odd man out. I really enjoy listening to baseball when I am in the shop. There is nothing like listening to great pbp announcers. When there is no baseball to be found I almost prefer it quiet.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bob blakeborough View Post
    What? No other 40 year old Punk Rock woodworkers out there? I can't be the only one... Or can i???
    I'm a little over 40, but I'm with ya. I've digitized and organized all my music on a central server in my house, so I can play whatever genre strikes me according to mood. Punk works in the woodshop, but it goes better with metalworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fay View Post
    I guess I am the odd man out. I really enjoy listening to baseball when I am in the shop. There is nothing like listening to great pbp announcers. When there is no baseball to be found I almost prefer it quiet.
    Jim
    I like sports, too. College football in the fall, especially. I'd listen to more baseball if the team here wasn't record-setting bad. A game between them and another losing team can really make you apathetic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Zilis View Post
    I've got an iPod Classic connected to an old set of surround speakers with subwoofer. It's packed to the gills with my music from my CD collection. Mostly progressive rock and jazz for me. Growing up I was a trumpet player and drummer so I've got a lot of Maynard Ferguson and Buddy Rich. Usually I just put it on shuffle and each song becomes like a little surprise.

Mike
    Do you have any Clyde McCoy (Sugar Blues comes to mind). I know the Columbia recordings are on CD. I like the Decca recording and have it on 78 that was then digitized.

Here is another version from 1931:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63EGEa8xqcM

I had not heard this version before just now. There seems to be a lot of different recordings of this.

I also like Gene Krupa.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Zilis View Post
    Maynard Ferguson
    RIP Maynard 1928-2006

In my opinion, MF Horn is one of the best Album series of all time. Nobody but nobody could wail a horn like he could. MacArthur Park, Eli's Comin, Gonna Fly Now, The Fly, Conquistador, Superbone meets the Bad Man.

I was fortunate to see him perform live 3 times, the last time during his last tour before his death. I fell in love with his music in the 70's when I was in HS Band. He is sorely missed.

In addition to MF, I enjoy listening to a variety of music while in my shop. It all depends on my mood. I have a boom box and have a couple of classic rock stations presset. I also play CD's and MP3's , again usually classic rock. However, I frequently put on Celtic Rock or Southern Rock. I often listen to Talk Radio as well.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Eric, I never would have guessed...

Me? I've got Country cranked on the radio...stereo actually, with big ole honkin' speakers!

Actually, that is how I get most of my news. I'm not one to watch the news on TV...too depressing. I was wwing, listening to the radio when the first plane hit the Twin Towers on 9-11. No one walked into the shop for 3 or 4 hours after the news was out. Funny, if I hadn't been listening, I would have had no idea what was going on...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    I have an old laptop that is stripped down to running minimal Windows 2000, a browser and Windows Media Player. Usually I just use the browser to listen to Pandora or Radio Paradise through a powered sub/satellite unit. Media player handles and MP3's I have onboard if desired.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I vote for no TV or radio or anything..... I want to think and hear the machines do their thing. If they sound "off" then something is wrong. If I can't hear it I can't fix it.