Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 Things Gas Stations Won't Tell You

When a statement is made "All gas is the same" they are speaking of the basic gas BEFORE the additives are added for each retailer they deliver to.
    I am sure quality can differ in parts of the country because being supplied by a different refinery.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    he men wrote: "Woman, without her man, is nothing."
    The women wrote "Woman: without her, man is nothing."
    The feminists wrote: "Woman without. Her man is nothing."
    How did the warrior punctuate it?

If you want gas without ethanol, go to one of the larger Marinas. Older boats have a problem with even 10%. It eats seals, and over time combines with water and turns to gunk in your tank. (boat tanks aren't usually filled and emptied as often as car/truck tanks) Good Marina gas has no ethanol.. Just One of the reasons it costs more than street gas.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    How did the warrior punctuate it?
    I dunno.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    If you want gas without ethanol, go to one of the larger Marinas. Older boats have a problem with even 10%. It eats seals, and over time combines with water and turns to gunk in your tank. (boat tanks aren't usually filled and emptied as often as car/truck tanks) Good Marina gas has no ethanol.. Just One of the reasons it costs more than street gas.
    I wonder how much ethanol avgas has in it. Probably not much, either -I could google it, I guess.

First complaint I ever heard in my life - about ethanol - was about 7 or 8 years ago reading the redpowermagazine board. Randy Sohn (well known pilot) had put an aircraft grade fuel pump, IIRC, in a 1953 cadillac - maybe 3 times. He lives in minnesota, and I guess they got the higher %s of it first.

He was not a happy camper. Not sure how well his opinion went over on what was essentially a farming board filled with guys just hoping that the days of $1.50 a bushel corn were over.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    I dunno.
    Well the question struck me because without warriors and the result of their trade craft, the world would be a very different place.
    It's always the victors who write the histories.

I had to sit through a dinner after a Board meeting where most of the members were in the oil and gas industry. I ended up asking that precise question--any difference in gas between labels? I expected a lot of waffling and everyone saying their brand was best. The answer I got, surprisingly, is that most of these guys, if they had a choice, would use Texaco gas because they thought the additives were higher quality.

Maybe it's a northeast thing, but it seems like texaco is really expensive around here. The few shops left that have it have a pricing policy of "if you're going to bother us to come out of the garage and come to the counter, we're going to make it worth our while".

Is it more common in the midwest or south? It mostly seems to be attached to service station type places here, but they're fast disappearing, and if they don't, their gas pumps do.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I wonder how much ethanol avgas has in it.
    It has 0. There are many components in those engines that aren't designed to stand up to ethanol. There are potential condensation problems too where water would normally sink to the bottom of a tank and be easily drained, but it will tend to mix with the ethanol instead.

Blog Entries
    Two more comments:

1. There are distribution facilities here in Houston along the ship channel where the tankers fill up. The additives are put into the gas at that point. It may be a Shell or Exxon tanker but the additives are determined by to whom they are delivering that particular tanker.

2. As to long lasting cars: most of the folks on this forum are frugal and look for vehicles that will be with them for a long time and take care of them the way they do their tools. However, the vast majority of the driving public change cars almost as often as they change shirts and never encounter the long term effect of ethanol, additives (or lack of) and dirty oil. The manufactureres and refiners know this and that's the public they are selling to.

I am surpised (shouldn't be) at the number of people who never "own" a car. They just make payments forever, almost the same as a lease.