Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you are going to paint........

If you are going to paint........

If you were going to paint the inside of your home, what brand of paint will you use?

I have always had good luck with the Sears brand paint. Made by Sherwin Williams. Goes on good at a good price.

Purchased a Gal of Behr paint at Home Depot (premium $34) that stuff was so thin bet you could have sprayed it as is.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    I have good luck with Behr but sounds like you didn't. I use a lot of Sherwin Williams from their store. It depends on the store - I got 3 gallons from a store near where I work and every gallon was done wrong - wrong color formula, right formula but wrong color, but the store near my house made good on all of them.

I didn't know Sears had SW paint but then the nearest Sears is PIA to get ti.

I use to be a big fan of Ben Moore but now we use Sherwin Williams.....I painted houses for 20 odd yrs & always used Ben Moore. Oil base on the woodwork & latex on walls & ceilings......Now it's all latex which is made a lot better than 20 yrs ago. Use enough floetrol & it flattens out nicely......Sherwin Williams is a good paint

Our contractor at work says always stick with Behr. Its a little more expensive but it lasts forever. Supposedly they have a new product which is paint and primer in one and he claims it works awesome. In my personal home, I just use whatever is on sale at the time.

I have had great success with Sears best interior latex paint. Just the opposite luck with Porter Paints. S/W also has done well in my experience.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Painted many, many houses (including years feeding myself that way). Paints are much better than they used to be. As mentioned, latex these days rivals any oil base from years ago.

I have used Behr, simply because it was convenient, and had mixed results. Some of it has been garbage, but I have found some that is ok. Just today I was painting my son's treehouse with their deck and fence paint, and it seems quite good.

That said, I've always felt Benjamin Moore was the best.

I belong to a DIY forum with a painting group. General consensus is Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams are really good. Behr has a terrible reputation among this group. YMMV
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I've used Behr for years. Had good luck until I tried a dark red. It would not cover after 3 coats. Got the same color in Sherwin Williams, one coat (on top of the other 3, and they were on top of primer). If you want a thick paint, go to Lowe's and get the Valspar. I don't think it is possible to thin that paint enough to spray, except out of a texture hopper!!! I've used it in my shop and it has done very well. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    Our contractor at work says always stick with Behr. Its a little more expensive but it lasts forever. Supposedly they have a new product which is paint and primer in one and he claims it works awesome. In my personal home, I just use whatever is on sale at the time.
    Thats what I used, the new paint\primer stuff. Thin as water.
    On a painting forum much like Sawmill Creek they bash Behr paint like Harbor Freight tools get on here.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I have good luck with Behr but sounds like you didn't. I use a lot of Sherwin Williams from their store. It depends on the store - I got 3 gallons from a store near where I work and every gallon was done wrong - wrong color formula, right formula but wrong color, but the store near my house made good on all of them.

I didn't know Sears had SW paint but then the nearest Sears is PIA to get ti.
    Sears paint is made by SW. They now also stock Pratt And Lambert paint. Also made by SW. Dutch Boy is also SW.
    - Rick Dale

Behr = thin
    Valspar = thick!

That said, I'm hopeful some of the professional painters will tell us why all these consumer-grade paints are junk, and what we ought to be buying, instead.

For walls (drywall) I don't see that much difference. For woodwork I learned the hard way that Valspar, Behr, anything from Home Depot or Lowe's is garbage. Spend the money and use Benjamin Moore, or end up doing it over.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

My vote is for SW Cashmere. Easy to put on, accepts touch ups well, durable.

Benjamin Moore or nothing at all

pretty tough to lump all products from any single manufacturer into a single category there are generally some good some not so good and some awful products

vast majority of manufacturers try to hit more than one target audience with a wide spectrum of product and quality , price points etc.

point being each individual model/version needs to be evaluated on its own merits not just on the manufacturer you wouldn't expect to compare a Cadillac Escalade and a Chevy Cobalt in a side by side comparision ( yet General Motors makes both vehicles) so why do it with tools or paint or anything else for that matter

if you want a useful and fair comparision you need similar level products in order for the conclusions drawn to be worthwhile